Wall of Color
Coordinate favorite solid colors or use up leftovers in this graphic wall hanging. Using only squares makes it easy to reduce or enlarge the finished size based on your needs. Fabrics are from the Kona Cotton Solids collection from Robert Kaufman Fabrics.
Inspired by Charming Addition from designer Kathie Holland
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
4-1⁄8-yard pieces and 10-1⁄4-yard pieces assorted solids (quilt center)
3⁄4 yard solid dark brown (binding)
2-7⁄8 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 44-1⁄2x42-1⁄2"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted solids, cut 61 sets of:
From scraps of assorted solids, cut 15 sets of:
From scraps of assorted solids, cut:
From solid dark brown, cut:
2-2-1⁄2x42-1⁄2" border strips
2-2-1⁄2x40-1⁄2" border strips
5-2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Center Assembly Diagram, use a design wall to lay out all 2-1⁄2" squares in 19 horizontal rows of 20 squares each. Form plus signs from each set of five 2-1⁄2" squares, making half plus signs on edges from each set of four 2-1⁄2" squares. Fill open spaces between plus signs and half plus signs on edges with the 15 assorted print 2-1⁄2" squares.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 40-1⁄2x38-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
4. Sew solid dark brown 2-1⁄2x40-1⁄2" border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add solid dark brown 2-1⁄2x42-1⁄2" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with dark brown binding strips.