Tumbling Triangles Quilt
Inspired by Hello, Yellow from designer Vickie Eapen
Quilt tester: Jan Ragaller
5 yards total assorted red and blue prints (tumbler pieces)
1-2/3 yards blue paisley (tumbler pieces, border, binding)
2-7/8 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 42-1/2x70-1/2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click on "Download this Project" for the Tumbler Pattern and for tips on making and using templates.
From assorted red and blue prints, cut:
151 of Tumbler Pattern
From blue paisley, cut:
6-5-1/2x42" strips for border
6-2-1/2x42" binding strips
9 of Tumbler Pattern
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Align long edges of two tumbler pieces; the ends should be a bit offset so the pieces will match at the 1/4" seam line (Diagram 1). Sew together two tumbler pieces, being careful not to stretch edges. Press open (Diagram 2). Continue adding tumbler pieces, joining 20 total, to make a row (Diagram 3). Press seams in one direction.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make eight rows total, alternating pressing direction with each row.
3. Join rows, carefully matching seams, to make quilt center. Press seams open.
4. Trim quilt center to 32-1/2x60-1/2" including seam allowances (Diagram 4).
1. Cut and piece blue paisley 5-1/2x42" strips to make:
2-5-1/2x60-1/2" border strips
2-5-1/2x42-1/2" border strips
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew long border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue paisley binding strips.