Designer: Sherri McConnell
- 5/8 yard solid white (blocks, sashing, border)
- 25—10" squares assorted prints (blocks, sashing, binding)
- 7/8 yard backing fabric
- 31" square batting
Finished quilt: 23" square
Finished block: 3-1/2" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From solid white, cut:
- 2—1-1/2×23" border strips
- 2—1-1/2×21" border strips
- 40—1-1/4×4" sashing strips
- 50—2-5/8" squares
From assorted prints, cut:
- 11—2-1/2×10" binding strips
- 50—2-5/8" squares (25 sets of 2 matching squares)
- 16—1-1/4" sashing squares
1) Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each solid white 2-5/8" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2) Layer a marked solid white square atop an assorted print 2-5/8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
3) Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press open each triangle unit, pressing seam toward assorted print, to make two matching triangle-squares (Diagram 1). Each triangle-square should be 2-1/4" square including seam allowances.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 using a matching assorted print 2-5/8" square to make a set of four matching triangle-squares.
5) Repeat steps 2–4 to make 100 triangle-squares total (25 sets of four matching triangle-squares).
Assemble Pinwheel Blocks
1) Referring to Diagram 2, sew together four matching triangle-squares in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Pinwheel block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 4" square including seam allowances.
2) Repeat Step 1 to make 25 Pinwheel blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Pinwheel blocks, solid white sashing strips, and assorted print sashing squares in nine horizontal rows.
2) Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward solid white sashing strips.
3) Join rows to make quilt center; press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 21" square including seam allowances.
Join solid white 1-1/2×21" border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add solid white 1-1/2×23" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2) Quilt as desired. Val Krueger machine-quilted curliques in the sashing strips, border, and assorted print triangles. She stitched curved lines in the sashing squares and solid white triangles.
3) Using diagonal seams, join assorted print 2-1/2×10" binding strips to make a pieced binding strip. Bind with pieced binding strip.