Inspired by Cutting Edge from designer Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 7⁄8 yard mottled tan (quilt center)
- 3⁄4 yard total assorted batiks (quilt center)
- 1⁄2 yard total assorted bright prints (quilt center)
- 1-1⁄4 yards border print (border)
- 1⁄2 yard blue batik (binding)
- 2-3⁄4 yards backing fabric
- 49x59" batting
Finished quilt: 41x51"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut border strips lengthwise (parallel to selvages), fussy-cutting them over desired stripe in fabric.
From mottled tan, cut:
- 40--4-7⁄8" squares
From assorted batiks, cut:
- 26--4-7⁄8" squares
From assorted bright prints, cut:
- 14--4-7⁄8" squares
From border print, fussy-cut:
- 2--5-3⁄4x41" border strips
- 2--4-3⁄4x40-1⁄2" border strips
From blue batik, cut:
- 5--2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
1. Use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each mottled tan 4-7⁄8" square.
2. Layer a marked mottled tan square atop a batik or bright print 4-7⁄8" square. Sew pair together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press triangle units open, pressing seams toward mottled tan, to make two triangle-squares. Each should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat Step 2 to make 80 triangle-squares total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for placement of mottled tan triangles, lay out triangle-squares in eight vertical rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 32-1⁄2x40-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
Sew border print 4-3⁄4x40-1⁄2" border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add border print 5-3⁄4x41" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue batik binding strips.