Sashing units become the star of this wall hanging. Four Square-in-a-Square blocks provide the perfect foil for the five stars formed by the sashing. Fabrics are from the Vintage Collection from Little House by Annette Tatum and Designer Essentials solids, both from FreeSpirit.
Inspired by Folk-al Point from designer Bonnie Sullivan of All Through The Night
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1⁄4 yard pink dot (blocks)
1⁄4 yard solid pink (blocks)
1⁄2 yard solid blue (sashing)
1⁄2 yard blue print (sashing)
1⁄2 yard green stripe (blocks, inner border)
1⁄4 yard pink small floral (blocks)
1⁄2 yard pink medium floral (blocks)
1-1⁄8 yards pink large floral (outer border)
1⁄2 yard binding fabric
3-1⁄8 yards backing fabric
55" square batting
Finished quilt: 46-1⁄2" square
Finished block: 8" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From pink dot, cut:
From solid pink, cut:
From solid blue, cut:
From blue print, cut:
From green stripe, cut:
2-1-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" inner border strips
2-1-1⁄2×32-1⁄2" inner border strips
From pink small floral, cut:
From pink medium floral, cut:
From pink large floral, cut:
3-6-1⁄2×42" strips for outer border
2-6-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" outer border strips
From binding fabric, cut:
5-2-1⁄2×42" strips for binding
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each solid pink 2-7⁄8" square.
2. Layer each marked solid pink square atop a pink dot 27-⁄8" square. Sew each pair together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
3. Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press open each triangle unit, pressing seam away from solid pink, to make two pink triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 2-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 pink triangle-squares total.
4. Using blue print and solid blue 2-7⁄8" squares, repeat Steps 1–3 to make 48 blue triangle-squares total.
Assemble Flying Geese Units
The following technique makes four Flying Geese from squares; no triangles are used.
1. Referring to Diagram 2, align two marked solid pink squares with opposite corners of a green stripe 5-1⁄4" square. Sew a scant 1⁄4" from drawn lines on both sides of lines. Cut apart on drawn lines to make two triangle units (Diagram 3). Press seams toward solid pink triangles.
2. Referring to Diagram 4, align a marked solid pink square with green stripe corner of a triangle unit. Sew a scant 1⁄4" from each side of drawn line; cut apart on drawn line (Diagram 5). Press seams toward solid pink triangles to make two pink-and-green Flying Geese units. Each unit should be 4-1⁄2×2-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat with remaining triangle unit to make two additional pink-and-green Flying Geese units.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 16 pink-and-green Flying Geese units total.
4. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each solid blue 2-7⁄8" square. Using marked solid blue squares and blue print 5-1⁄4" squares, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 24 blue Flying Geese units.
Referring to Diagram 6, sew together four pink triangle-squares, four pink-and-green Flying Geese units, and one pink small floral 4-1⁄2" square in three horizontal rows. Press seams toward Flying Geese units. Join rows to make a Square-in-a-Square block; press seams toward middle row. The block should be 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four Square-in-a-Square blocks total.
Assemble Sashing Units
Referring to Diagram 7, sew a blue triangle-square to each side of a blue Flying Geese unit to make a sashing unit. Press seams toward triangle-squares. The unit should be 8-1⁄2×2-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make 24 sashing units total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blue print 2-1⁄2" sashing squares, sashing units, pink medium floral 8-1⁄2" squares, and Square-in-a-Square blocks in seven horizontal rows. Note alternating orientation of sashing units to form desired design.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams away from sashing units. Join rows to make quilt center; press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 32-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
1. Sew green stripe 1-1⁄2×32-1⁄2" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add green stripe 1-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
2. Cut and piece pink large floral 6-1⁄2×42" strips to make:
2-6-1⁄2×46-1⁄2" outer border strips
3. Sew pink large floral 6-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add pink large floral 6-1⁄2×46-1⁄2" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind quilt with binding strips.