Stacked Lanterns Quilt
The bold floral forming the outer border established the color palette used to make the Courthouse Steps-style blocks in the center of the quilt. Fabrics are from the Moonlit Sonata collection by Paintbrush Studio for Fabri-Quilt.
Inspired by String of Lanterns from designer Pat Sloan of Pat Sloan & Co.
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
5/8 yard total assorted aqua and green prints (blocks)
1/2 yard total assorted blue and dark turquoise prints (blocks)
1/2 yard total assorted purple prints (blocks)
3/4 yard blue teardrop print (block centers, inner border, binding)
7/8 yard multicolor floral (outer border)
2-1/2 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 36x43-1/2"
Finished blocks: 7-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted aqua and green prints, cut 24 matching sets of:
From remaining aqua and green prints, cut 1 matching set of:
From assorted blue and dark turquoise prints, cut 12 matching sets of:
From assorted purple prints, cut 11 matching sets of:
From blue teardrop print, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-2x30-1/2" inner border strips
2-2x26" inner border strips
From multicolor floral, cut:
2-5-1/2x36" outer border strips
2-5-1/2x33-1/2" outer border strips
Plan Quilt Center
To achieve the secondary pattern in this Courthouse Steps-style Log Cabin quilt, quilt tester Laura Boehnke matched fabrics in adjacent blocks.
To get this same effect, use a design wall to plan your quilt. Start by laying out sets of 1-1/2x8", 1-1/2x6", and 1-1/2x4" strips for the horizontal pieces as shown in Design Wall Diagram 1. Then lay out sets of 1-1/2x6", 1-1/2x4", and 1-1/2x2" strips for the vertical pieces as shown in Design Wall Diagram 2. Use remaining sets of strips and blue teardrop print 2" squares to complete the quilt center layout (Quilt Assembly Diagram).
1. Pick up all pieces for upper left-hand block from design wall.
2. Sew assorted print 1-1/2x2" strips to opposite edges of a blue teardrop print 2" square to make a block center (Diagram 1). Press seams away from blue teardrop print square.
3. Add assorted print 1-1/2x4" strips to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 2). Press as before. The block center now should be 4" square including seam allowances.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, continue adding assorted print strips to block center, pressing all seams away from block center, to make a Log Cabin block. The block should be 8" square including seam allowances. Return completed block to its position on design wall.
5. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram and design wall for placement, repeat steps 2-4 to make 12 Log Cabin blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for block orientation, lay out Log Cabin blocks in four horizontal rows. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
2. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 23x30-1/2" including seam allowances.
Add Inner Border
1. Sew long blue teardrop print inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border.
2. Sew short blue teardrop print inner border strips to remaining edges of quilt center. Press as before. The quilt center now should be 26x33-1/2" including seam allowances.
Add Outer Border
1. Sew long multicolor floral outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Press seams toward outer border.
2. Sew short multicolor floral outer border strips to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press as before.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue teardrop print binding strips..