Inspired by Simply Brilliant from designer Becky Cogan for Need'l Love
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 3⁄8 yard white print (blocks)
- 3⁄4 yard total assorted black, red, and gray prints (blocks)
- 1⁄2 yard gray wave print (blocks)
- 1⁄4 yard red print (inner border)
- 1⁄2 yard black print (outer border)
- 3⁄8 yard binding fabric
- 2-1⁄2 yards backing fabric
- 44" square batting
Finished quilt: 35-1⁄2" square
Finished block: 9" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From white print, cut:
- 108--2-3⁄8" squares
From assorted black, red, and gray prints, cut:
- 108--2-3⁄8" squares
From gray wave print, cut:
- 27--3-1⁄2" squares
From red print, cut:
- 2--1-1⁄2×29-1⁄2" inner border strips
- 2--1-1⁄2×27-1⁄2" inner border strips
From black print, cut:
- 2--3-1⁄2×35-1⁄2" outer border strips
- 2--3-1⁄2×29-1⁄2" outer border strips
From binding fabric, cut:
- 4--2-1⁄2×42" strips
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each white print square.
2. Layer a marked white print square atop an assorted black, red, or gray print square. Sew pair together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle-squares. Each should be 2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 216 triangle-squares total.
3. Sew together four triangle-squares in pairs (Diagram 2; note orientation of triangles). Join pairs to make a Four-Patch unit. To enable seams to abut when Four-Patch units are joined, remove a few stitches at the center intersection (Diagram 3). Fan out seam allowances clockwise and press them flat, forming a tiny Four-Patch on wrong side of unit. The unit should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 54 Four-Patch units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 4, lay out three gray wave print 3-1⁄2" squares and six Four-Patch units in three horizontal rows; note orientation of Four-Patch units. Sew together pieces in each row. Join rows to make a block. The block should be 9-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make nine blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in three horizontal rows. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
2. Join rows to complete quilt top; press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 27-1⁄2" square.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew red print 1-1⁄2×27-1⁄2" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add red print 1-1⁄2×29-1⁄2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward inner border. The quilt center should now be 29-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew black print 3-1⁄2×29-1⁄2" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add black print 3-1⁄2×35-1⁄2" outer border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward inner border. The quilt center should now be 35-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with binding strips.