Sign of the Times
Inspired by: Woven Friendships from designers Paula Barnes and Mary Ellen Robison
Quilt tester: Diane Tomlinson
Finished quilt: 491⁄2" square
Finished block: 7" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 2-1/4 yards total assorted prints (blocks, outer border)
- 1/2 yard solid light gray (blocks)
- 7/8 yard aqua print (inner and outer borders)
- 1/2 yard binding fabric
- 3-1/8 yards backing fabric
- 58"-square batting
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted prints, cut:
- 204—-1-1/2×7-1/2" rectangles
From solid light gray, cut:
- 48—-1-1/2×7-1/2" rectangles
From aqua print, cut:
- 4—-7-1/2" squares
- 2—-4×35-1/2" inner border strips
- 2—-4×28-1/2" inner border strips
From binding fabric, cut:
- 6—-2-1/2×42" binding strips
Assemble Quilt Top
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam open.
1. Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, sew together four assorted print and three solid light gray 1-1/2×7-1/2" rectangles to make a block. The block should be 7-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 blocks total.
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in four rows, rotating every other block 90°. Sew together blocks in rows. Press seams toward blocks that have seams running vertically.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 28-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Sew aqua print 4×28-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add aqua print 4×35-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward inner border. The quilt center now should be 35-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together 35 assorted print 1-1/2×7-1/2" rectangles to make a short pieced outer border strip. Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 7-1/2×35-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four short pieced outer border strips total.
6. Sew short pieced outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Sew aqua print 7-1/2" squares to ends of remaining short pieced outer border strips to make two long pieced outer border strips. Press seams toward aqua print squares. The long pieced outer border strips should be 7-1/2×49-1/2" including seam allowances. Add long pieced outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press seams toward inner border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with binding strips.