Scrollwork Appliqué Wall Hanging
Inspired by "Out on a Limb" by Janet Carija Brandt
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
1 yard multicolor print (appliqué foundation, middle border)
2-1/2 yards solid black (appliqués, inner and outer borders, binding)
1-1/2 yards backing fabric
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 47-1/2x33-1/2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.Download this Project
Cut pieces in the following order.
Download the project for pattern pieces. To make full A and B patterns, tape together the sections, matching the dots on the pattern sections.
To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps. (Patterns are already reversed for fusible web.)
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. (You may want to trace more pieces than indicated so you can mix and match pieces while arranging appliqués.)
2. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
3. Following the manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong side of solid black; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From multicolor print, cut:
2-1-3/4x39" middle border strips
2-1-3/4x27-1/2" middle border strips
From solid black, cut:
2-3-1/2x41-1/2" outer border strips
2-3-1/2x33-1/2" outer border strips
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-1x38" inner border strips
2-1x25" inner border strips
6 of Pattern A
7 of Pattern BDownload this Project
Appliqué Quilt Top
1. On a design wall or large worktable, spread out multicolor print 40x26" appliqué foundation.
2. On the appliqué foundation, arrange solid black A and B scroll appliqués as desired. Let some pieces extend beyond the fabric edges. Use Appliqué Placement Diagram as a guide. Where scrolls overlap, trim so pieces butt together snugly (dotted lines indicate scroll cut off on Appliqué Placement Diagram).
3. When you're pleased with the arrangement, fuse all pieces in place following manufacturer's instructions.
4. Using black thread, machine-zigzag-stitch around each appliqué to make quilt center. Trim completed quilt center to 38x24" including seam allowances.
1. Sew solid black 1x38" inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add solid black 1x25" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border.
2. Sew multicolor print 1-3/4x39" middle border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add multicolor print 1-3/4x27-1/2" middle border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward middle border.
3. Sew solid black 3-1/2x41-1/2" outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add solid black 3-1/2x33-1/2" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with solid black binding strips.