Scrap Lab Wall Hanging
Designer: Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Co. (figtreequilts.com)
- 1⁄2 yard solid lavender (blocks)
- 5--18x22" pieces (fat quarters) assorted prints in green, blue, and aqua (blocks, sashing, border, binding)
- 1-3⁄8 yards backing fabric
- 28x49" batting
- Freezer paper
- Spray starch
Finished quilt: 20x41"
Finished blocks: 7-1⁄2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics unless otherwise specified.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Find the Leaf Pattern in the downloadable PDF above. To prepare leaf appliqués using a freezer-paper-and-starch method, complete the following steps.
1. Lay freezer paper, shiny side down, over Leaf Pattern. Use a pencil to trace pattern 20 times. Cut out freezer-paper shapes on drawn lines to make templates.
2. Using a hot dry iron, press each freezer-paper shape, shiny side down, onto wrong side of an assorted print; let cool. Cut out each fabric leaf, adding a 1⁄4" seam allowance to all edges. Clip seam allowances of curves as necessary, stopping a thread or two away from freezer-paper templates, to make appliqué pieces.
3. Spray a small amount of starch into a dish. Place a template-topped appliqué piece facedown on a pressing surface covered with a tea towel or muslin. Dip a cotton swab in starch and moisten seam allowance of appliqué piece (Diagram 1). Using tip of a hot dry iron, turn seam allowance over one edge of freezer-paper template and press until fabric is dry. Continue in same manner around entire shape, adding starch as necessary and pressing fabric taut against template. Carefully peel off template to create a leaf appliqué.
4. Repeat Step 3 to prepare 20 leaf appliqués total.
From solid lavender, refer to Cutting Diagram, to cut:
- 5--8-1⁄2" squares
- 10--1-3⁄4x8" rectangles
- 10--1-3⁄4x5-1⁄2" rectangles
From one assorted print, cut:
- 5--5-1⁄2" squares
From remaining assorted prints, cut:
- Enough 2-1⁄2"-wide strips in lengths ranging from 7" to 10" to total 140" for binding
- 77-2x2-1⁄2" rectangles
- 20 of Leaf Pattern
1. Referring to Diagram 2, sew solid lavender 1-3⁄4x5-1⁄2" rectangles to opposite edges of a print 5-1⁄2" square. Press seams toward rectangles. Add solid lavender 1-3⁄4x8" rectangles to remaining edges to make a pieced block. Press seams toward rectangles. The block should be 8" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make five pieced blocks total.
2. Fold a solid lavender 8-1⁄2" square horizontally and vertically; press lightly to create placement guidelines and unfold. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange four leaf appliqués on square; pin or baste pieces in place.
3. Using thread to match appliqués, machine-blanket-stitch around edges of leaf appliqués to make an appliquéd block. Trim block to 8" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make five appliquéd blocks total.
Assemble Sashing and Border
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, join 19 assorted print 2x2-1⁄2" rectangles along short edges to make a sashing strip. Press seams in one direction. Trim strip to 2x38" including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make two long border strips; trim each to 2x38" including seam allowances.
3. Sew together 10 assorted print 2x2-1⁄2" rectangles along short edges to make a short border strip; press seams in one direction. Trim strip to 2x20" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second short border strip.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in an alternating pattern in two vertical rows. Sew together pieces in each block row. Press seams in one direction. Join block rows and sashing strip to make quilt center; press seams away from sashing strip. The quilt center should be 17x38" including seam allowances.
2. Sew long border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams away from border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired. Outline-quilt around the leaf appliqués and stipple-quilt the remaining areas of the quilt top.
2. Using straight seams, sew together assorted print 2-1⁄2"-wide strips to make a pieced binding strip. Bind quilt with pieced binding strip.