Sawtooth Stars & Squares
Inspired by "History Repeated" by designer Jill Reid
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1/2 yard black dot print (star units)
- 1/2 yard mottled pink (star units)
- 3/8 yard mottled lime green (star units)
- 1/4 yard black circle print (star units)
- 1/8 yard lime green circle print (star units)
- 1/4 yard each of black floral and lime green floral (block centers)
- 5/8 yard each of multicolor check and multicolor stripe (blocks)
- 1-1/8 yards solid black (sashing, binding)
- 1/8 yard multicolor squares print (sashing squares)
- 3-1/8 yards backing fabric
- 55" square batting
Finished quilt: 48-1/2" square
Finished block: 14" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From black dot print, cut:
- 288--1-3/8" squares
From mottled pink, cut:
- 80--1-3/8x2-1/4" rectangles
- 80--1-3/8" squares
From mottled lime green, cut:
- 64--1-3/8x2-1/4" rectangles
- 64--1-3/8" squares
From black circle print, cut:
- 20--2-1/4" squares
From lime green circle print, cut:
- 16--2-1/4" squares
From black floral, cut:
- 5--7-1/2" squares
From lime green floral, cut:
- 4--7-1/2" squares
From multicolor check, cut:
- 20--4x7-1/2" rectangles
From multicolor stripe, cut:
- 16--4x7-1/2" rectangles
From solid black, cut:
- 5--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 24--2x14-1/2" sashing strips
From multicolor squares print, cut:
- 16--2" sashing squares
Assemble Star Units
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each black dot print 1-3/8" square.
2. Align a marked black dot print square with one end of a mottled pink 1-3/8x2-1/4" rectangle (Diagram 1; note direction of drawn line). Sew on marked line, then trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press open attached triangle.
3. Align a second marked black dot print square with opposite end of rectangle. Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a pink Flying Geese unit. The unit should be 1-3/8x2-1/4" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 80 pink Flying Geese units total. Using mottled lime green rectangles instead of mottled pink, repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 64 green Flying Geese units total.
5. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together four mottled pink 1-3/8" squares, four pink Flying Geese units, and one black circle print 2-1/4" square in three rows. Press seams toward squares. Join rows to make a pink Sawtooth Star unit. Press seams toward middle row. The unit should be 4" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 20 pink Sawtooth Star units total. Using mottled lime green 1-3/8" squares, yellow Flying Geese units, and lime green circle print 2-1/4" squares, repeat to make 16 green Sawtooth Star units total.
1. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out a set of four pink Sawtooth Star units, four multicolor check 4x7-1/2" rectangles, and one black floral 7-1/2" square in rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward rectangles. Join rows to make a pink block. Press seams toward center row. The block should be 14-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 5 pink blocks total. Using green Sawtooth Star units, multicolor stripe 4x7-1/2", and lime green floral 7-1/2" squares, and rectangles, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make four green blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to photo, lay out blocks, sashing strips, and sashing squares in seven rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press all seams toward sashing strips.
2. Join rows to make quilt top. Press all seams toward sashing rows.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with solid black binding strips.