Inspired by Pixie Sticks from designer Sandy Klop of American Jane Patterns
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 17--1⁄4-yard pieces assorted florals in teal, dark green, light green, dark pink, and light pink (rows)
- 1⁄2 yard pink paisley (row, inner border)
- 1-1⁄8 yards teal floral (outer border)
- 5⁄8 yard solid teal (binding)
- 3-1⁄4 yards backing fabric
- 57x68" batting
- Acrylic ruler with 45 degree marking
Finished quilt: 48-1⁄2x59-1⁄4"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each assorted floral, cut:
- 2--2-1⁄2x42" strips
From pink paisley, cut:
- 2--2-1⁄2x42" strips
- 5--1-1⁄2x42" strips for inner border
From teal floral, cut:
- 6--5-1⁄2x42" strips for outer border
From solid teal, cut:
- 6--2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
1. Gather two different floral 2-1⁄2x42" strips. Sew together to make Strip Set A (Diagram 1). Press seam toward bottom strip.
2. Using an acrylic ruler, trim left-hand end of strip set at a 45-degree angle from the bottom edge (Diagram 2). Measuring from trimmed end, cut nine 2-1⁄2"-wide A segments.
3. Using remaining 2-1⁄2x42" strips from same two florals, sew together to make Strip Set B (Diagram 3). Press seam toward top strip.
4. Using an acrylic ruler, trim left-hand end of remaining strip set at a 45-degree angle from the top edge (Diagram 4). Measuring from trimmed end, cut nine 2-1⁄2"-wide B segments.
5. Using remaining floral and pink paisley 2-1⁄2x42" strips, repeat steps 1–4 to make nine A segments and nine B segments total in each colorway.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to first vertical row in Quilt Center Assembly Diagram, sew together nine B segments in a row. Press seams in same direction as other seams in row.
2. Referring to second vertical row in Quilt Center Assembly Diagram, join nine A segments in a row. Press seams in same direction as other seams in row.
3. Referring to Quilt Center Assembly Diagram, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make nine each of rows A and B.
4. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Referring to Diagram 5 and Quilt Center Assembly Diagram, trim top and bottom edges 1⁄4" beyond points to complete quilt center. The quilt center should be 36-1⁄2x47-1⁄4" including seam allowances.
1. Cut and piece pink paisley 1-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
- 2--1-1⁄2x47-1⁄4" inner border strips
- 2--1-1⁄2x38-1⁄2" inner border strips
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew long inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
3. Cut and piece teal floral 5-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
- 2--5-1⁄2x49-1⁄4" outer border strips
- 2--5-1⁄2x48-1⁄2" outer border strips
4. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew long outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with solid teal binding strips.