Quilted Hanging Organizer
Inspired by Dressed to Impress from designer Monica Solorio-Snow of Happy Zombie
Project Tester: Mary Pepper
12-18x22" pieces (fat quarters) assorted novelty prints (pocket linings, sashing squares)
2-sewing machine print panels with 6 sewing machine motifs per panel or 1 yard desired print (pockets)
3/4 yard black tone-on-tone (sashing)
1/2 yard tan stripe (binding)
1-3/4 yards backing fabric
63x72" rectangle batting
Finished quilt: 32-1/2x50-1/2"
Finished pocket: 8x10"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each assorted novelty print, cut:
2-2-1/2" sashing squares (you will use 20 of the 24 total cut)
From each sewing machine print panel, fussy-cut:
6-10x10-1/2" rectangles, centering sewing machine motif (Side edges should be 10"; see Diagram 1)
From black tone-on-tone, cut:
16-2-1/2x10-1/2" sashing rectangles
15-2-1/2x8-1/2" sashing rectangles
From tan stripe, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
From batting, cut:
1. Sew together a novelty print 10x10-1/2" rectangle and a sewing machine print 10x10-1/2" rectangle along long top edge (Diagram 1). Press seam toward novelty print.
2. Fold Step 1 unit wrong sides together along seam. Referring to Diagram 2, place a batting 9-3/4x10-1/2" rectangle between layers and press. Pin layers together.
3. Using thread that matches background of sewing machine print, machine-straight-stitch around edges of sewing machine motif to make a quilted rectangle (Diagram 3).
4. Referring to Diagram 4, use a pencil to mark dots on bottom edge of quilted rectangle 1" and 2" from left-hand edge. Repeat marking from right-hand edge.
5. Fold and match dot pairs to make pleats; pin pleats in place (Diagram 5).
6. Aligning bottom and side edges, pin Step 5 piece atop matching novelty print 8-1/2x10-1/2" rectangle. Using 1/8" seam allowances, machine-baste around side and bottom edges to make a pocket (Diagram 6).
7. Repeat steps 1–6 to make 12 pockets total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out pockets, black tone-on-tone sashing rectangles, and novelty print sashing squares in nine rows.
2. Join pieces in each row; be careful not to get pockets caught in seams. Press seams away from sashing rectangles.
3. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams toward block rows.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with tan stripe binding strips.