Prairie Diamonds Quilt
Use a diamond template and mix light and dark fabrics in an easy-to-piece quilt. These fabrics are from the Abigail collection by Sara Morgan for Blue Hill Fabrics.
Inspired by Diamond in the Ruff by designer Vanessa Christenson of V. and Co.
Quilt tester: Kathleen Williams
1-7/8 yards assorted dark prints (diamonds, middle border)
1-5/8 yards assorted tan prints (diamonds)
7/8 yard tan print No. 1 (inner border, binding)
1/2 yard tan print No. 2 (outer border)
3 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 43-1/2x54-1/2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for Diamond Pattern and tips on making templates.
From assorted dark prints, cut:
20 of Diamond Pattern
12-1x18" strips for middle border
From assorted tan prints, cut:
12 of Diamond Pattern
From tan print No. 1, cut:
6-2-1/2x42" binding strips
6-1-1/2x42" strips for inner border
From tan print No. 2, cut:
5-2x42" strips for outer border
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for placement, lay out assorted dark and tan print diamonds in diagonal rows. Join pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
2. Sew together rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction.
3. Referring to Quilt Center Cutting Diagram, trim quilt center to 37-1/2x48-1/2" including seam allowances.
1. Cut and piece tan print No. 1– 1-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 2-1-1/2x48-1/2" inner border strips
- 2-11/2x39-1/2" inner border strips
2. Referring to photo, join long inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border. The quilt center now should be 39-1/2x50-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Using diagonal seams, cut and piece dark print 1x18" strips to make:
- 2-1x50-1/2" middle border strips
- 2-1x40-1/2" middle border strips
4. Join long middle border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short middle border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward middle border. The quilt center now should be 40-1/2x51-1/2" including seam allowances.
5. Cut and piece tan print No. 2– 2x42" strips to make:
- 2-2x51-1/2" outer border strips
- 2-2x43-1/2" outer border strips
6. Join long outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward middle border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with tan print No. 1 binding strips.