Petal Appliqués Wall Quilt
Petal appliqués machine-zigzag-stitched with dark turquoise thread climb a trellis of gray and brown prints. Fabrics include the Revive collection and other coordinating prints from Art Gallery Fabrics.
Inspired by Butterscotch Squares from designer Corey Yoder of Little Miss Shabby
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
6—3/8-yard pieces assorted light prints (blocks, outer border)
1/2 yard dark brown tone-on-tone (A blocks, inner border)
1/2 yard total assorted light to medium prints in brown, aqua, gray, and teal (appliqués)
3/8 yard dark gray print (B blocks)
1 yard light turquoise floral (outer border, binding)
3 yards backing fabric
53" square batting
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 44-1/2" square
Finished blocks: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on “Download this Project” for patterns and tips on making and using templates
To use fusible web to prepare Petal Pattern appliqués, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over Petal Pattern. Use a pencil to trace pattern 36 times, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web petal roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer’s instructions, press fusible-web petals onto wrong sides of assorted light to medium prints; let cool. Cut out fabric petals on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From each of five light prints, cut:
1—11-1/2" square, cutting it diagonally twice in an X for 4 large triangles total
2—5-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 small triangles total
From remaining light print, cut:
From dark brown tone-on-tone, cut:
2—1-1/2x38-1/2" inner border strips
2—1-1/2x36-1/2" inner border strips
From assorted light to medium prints, cut:
36 of Petal Pattern
From dark gray print, cut:
10 of Trapezoid Pattern
From light turquoise floral, cut:
5—3-1/2x42" strips for outer border
5—2-1/2x42" binding strips
Plan the Quilt
To achieve the secondary pattern in this quilt, quilt tester Laura Boehnke matched fabrics in adjacent blocks. To get this same effect, use a design wall to plan your quilt. Start by placing four matching light print small triangles on the design wall to form corners of a B block. Repeat for each B block. For each A block, lay out light print large triangles that match the adjacent B blocks. Place four of the remaining light print large triangles in the remaining spaces in the A blocks. (You will have four assorted light print large triangles left over for use in another project.)
Assemble and Appliqué A Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together two light print large triangles and a dark brown tone-on-tone 1-7/8x9-1/2" strip to make a triangle unit. (The dark brown tone-on-tone strip will extend beyond triangle corners; you will trim the unit after assembling the block.) Press seams toward dark brown tone-on-tone strip. Repeat to make eight triangle units total.
2. Fold each triangle unit and each dark brown tone-on-tone 1-7/8x20” strip in half to find centers; unfold.
3. Matching centers, sew together two triangle units and a dark brown tone-on-tone 1-7/8x20" strip to make Block A (Diagram 2). Press seams toward dark brown tone-on-tone strip.
4. Trim block to 12-1/2" square including seam allowances (Diagram 3).
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make four A blocks total.
6. Referring to Block A Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange four assorted light to medium print petals on an A block. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse each piece in place. Using dark turquoise thread, machine-blanket-stitch around each appliqué shape. Repeat with remaining A blocks.
Assemble and Appliqué B Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 4, sew dark gray print 1-7/8x7-5/8" strips to opposite edges of a light print 7-5/8" square. Add dark gray print trapezoid pieces to remaining edges to make a block center. Press all seams toward dark gray print pieces.
2. Sew matching light print small triangles to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 5). Add matching light print small triangles to remaining edges to make block B. Press all seams toward triangles. Trim if necessary. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make five B blocks total.
4. Referring to Block B Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange four assorted light to medium print petals on a B block. Fuse each piece in place. Using dark turquoise thread, machine-blanket-stitch around each appliqué shape. Repeat with remaining B blocks.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out A and B blocks in three rows, alternating blocks.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams toward A blocks. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 36-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Add Borders and Finish Quilt
1. Sew dark brown tone-on-tone 1-1/2x36-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add dark brown tone-on-tone 1-1/2x38-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
2. Cut and piece light turquoise floral 3-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 2—3-1/2x44-1/2" outer border strips
- 2—3-1/2x38-1/2" outer border strips
3. Sew short outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
4. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
5. Bind with light turquoise floral binding strips.