Pastel Strip Quilt
Inspired by "My Guy" designers Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle of FunQuilts
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 26--5" squares assorted pastel batiks (blocks) or 5/8 yard total assorted pastel batiks
- 1-3/4 yards cream batik (blocks, border, binding)
- 2-1/2 yards backing fabric
- 43x52" batting
Finished quilt: 36-1/2x45-1/2"
Finished block: 9x4"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From pastel batiks, cut:
- 52--2x5" rectangles
From cream batik, cut:
- 5--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 4--5x36-1/2" border strips
- 14--4-1/2x9-1/2" setting rectangles
- 13--1-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles
1. Aligning short ends, sew together two assorted pastel batik 2x5" rectangles to make a rectangle pair (Diagram 1). Press seam in one direction. Repeat to make 26 rectangle pairs total.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, sew rectangle pairs to long edges of a cream batik 1-1/2x9-1/2" rectangle to make a block. Press seams toward cream batik rectangle. The block should be 9-1/2x4-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make 13 blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks and cream batik setting rectangles in vertical rows, alternating blocks and setting rectangles.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting rectangles. Each pieced row should be 9-1/2x36-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 27-1/2x36-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Sew cream batik border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add cream batik border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with cream batik binding strips.