Pastel Pears Wall Quilt
Inspired by A Perfect Pair from designer Avis Shirer of Joined at the Hip
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 1-1/8 yards green floral (pear appliqués, outer border, binding)
- 1/8 yards green stripe (leaf appliqués)
- 2/3 yard cream tone-on-tone (appliqué foundations, pieced blocks)
- 3/8 yard pink floral (pieced blocks)
- 1/4 yard pink stripe (inner border)
- 1-1/4 yards backing fabric
- 43" square batting
- Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 35" square
Finished blocks: 8" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
To use fusible web to prepare patterns for appliqué, complete the following steps. Click on "Download this Project" for patterns.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in the cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From green floral, cut:
- 4--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 2--4-3/4x35" outer border strips
- 2--4-3/4x26-1/2" outer border strips
- 5 of Pattern A
From green stripe, cut:
- 5 each of patterns B and C
From cream tone-on-tone, cut:
- 2--1-5/8x28" strips
- 5--8-1/2" squares
- 16--2-3/4x4" rectangles
From pink floral, cut:
- 2--1-5/8x28" strips
- 4--4" squares
From pink stripe, cut:
- 2--1-1/2x26-1/2" inner border strips
- 2--1-1/2x24-1/2" inner border strips
Assemble Appliquéd Blocks
1. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, lay out a green floral A piece and green stripe B and C pieces on a cream tone-on-tone 8-1/2" square. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse pieces in place.
2. Using thread that matches each appliqué, zigzag-stitch around each piece to make an appliquéd block.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make five appliquéd blocks total.
Assemble Pieced Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together a pink floral 1-5/8x28" strip and a cream tone-on-tone 1-5/8x28" strip to make a strip set. Press seam toward pink floral. Repeat to make a second strip set.
2. Cut strip sets into thirty two 1-5/8"-wide segments (Diagram 1).
3. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together two 1-5/8"-wide segments to make a Four-Patch unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 2-3/4" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 Four-Patch units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out four Four-Patch units, four cream tone-on-tone 2-3/4x4" rectangles, and a pink floral 4" square in three horizontal rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward rectangles. Join rows to make a pieced block; press seams in one direction. The block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four pieced blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in three horizontal rows, alternating appliquéd and pieced blocks.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams toward pieced blocks. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 24-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Sew pink stripe 1-1/2x24-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add pink stripe 1-1/2x26-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
2. Sew green floral 4-3/4x26-1/2" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add green floral 4-3/4x35" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with green floral binding strips.