Opposites Attract Wall Quilt
Inspired by: Classic Comforts from designer Wendy Sheppard
Quilt tester: Martha Gamm
Finished size: 43-1/2" square
Finished block: 9" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1 yard total assorted green and blue prints (blocks)
- 1 yard total assorted pink and purple prints (blocks, sashing squares)
- 1 yard total assorted white prints (blocks, sashing rectangles)
- 3/8 yard tan print (border)
- 1/2 yard binding fabric
- 3 yards backing fabric
- 52"-square batting
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted green and blue prints, cut:
- 24—3-1/2 ×9-1/2" rectangles
From assorted pink and purple prints, cut:
- 24—3-1/2 ×9-1/2" rectangles
From assorted purple print scraps, cut:
- 9—1-1/2" sashing squares
From assorted white prints, cut:
- 32—3-1/2" squares
- 24—1-1/2 ×9-1/2" sashing rectangles
From tan print, cut:
- 4—2-1/2 ×42" strips for border
From red print, cut:
- 5—2-1/2 ×42" binding strips
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together three assorted green and blue print 3-1/2 ×9-1/2" rectangles to make a green unit. The unit should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make eight green units total.
2. Repeat Step 1 using assorted pink and purple 3-1/2 ×9-1/2" rectangles to make eight pink units.
3. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each assorted white print 3-1/2" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
4. Referring to Diagram 2 for unit orientation and direction of marked lines, in a green unit align marked white print squares with top right-hand and bottom left-hand corners. Sew on drawn lines; trim seam allowances to 1/4". Press attached triangles open to make Block A. The block still should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four green A blocks total and four pink A blocks.
5. Repeat Step 4, aligning marked white print squares with top left-hand and bottom right-hand corners of units (Diagram 3), to make four green B blocks and four pink B blocks.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out A and B blocks paired by colorway, white print 1-1/2 ×9-1/2" sashing rectangles, and purple print 1-1/2" sashing squares in seven rows.
2. Sew together pieces in rows. Press seams away from sashing rectangles. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 39-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Piece and cut tan print 2-1/2×42" strips to make:
- 2—2-1/2 ×43-1/2" border strips
- 2—2-1/2 ×39-1/2" border strips
2. Sew short border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Sew long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with binding strips.