Nautical Pinwheels Quilt
Inspired by Merry-Go-Round from designer Kimberly Walus
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
7/8 yard solid white (blocks, sashing, inner border)
2/3 yard total assorted bright prints in orange, blue, green, brown, and gray (blocks)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) navy-and-white print (block)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) novelty print (sashing squares)
1 yard multicolor plaid (outer border, binding)
3 yards backing fabric
53" square batting
Finished quilt: 44-1/2" square
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities 44/45" -wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From solid white, cut:
2—2-1/2x34-1/2" inner border strips
2—2-1/2x30-1/2" inner border strips
12—2-1/2x12-1/2" sashing strips
From assorted bright prints, cut:
From navy-and-white print, cut:
From novelty print, fussy-cut:
9—2-1/2" sashing squares centered over fabric motifs
From multicolor plaid, cut:
4—5-1/2x42" strips for outer border
5—2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each solid white 2-7/8" square and 4-7/8" square.
2. Layer a marked solid white 2-7/8" square atop a bright print 2-7/8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seams toward bright print, to make two small triangle-squares. Each small triangle-square should be 2-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat Step 2 to make 16 small triangle-squares total.
4. Using marked solid white 4-7/8" squares and navy-and-white print 4-7/8" squares, repeat Step 2 to make 16 large triangle-squares (Diagram 2). Each large triangle-square should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out a small triangle-square, a large triangle-square, and two assorted bright print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles in two vertical rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward rectangles.
2. Join rows to make a block unit. Press seam toward large triangle-square. The unit should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 16 block units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together four block units in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, solid white sashing strips, and novelty print sashing squares in five horizontal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams away from sashing strips. Join rows to make quilt center; press seams away from sashing rows. The quilt center should be 30-1/2" including seam allowances.
1. Sew short solid white inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long solid white inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
2. Cut and piece multicolor plaid 5-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 2—5-1/2x44-1/2" outer border strips
- 2—51-/2x34-1/2" outer border strips
3. Sew short outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with multicolor plaid binding strips.