Melon Patch Circles
Warm and cool colors blend beautifully in these Melon Patch blocks using Sunshine Cottage's Stonehenge collection for Northcott Fabrics. The fabric's simple print allows the form to be easily seen.
Inspired by "Ahead of the Curve" from designers Cori Derksen and Myra Harder of Blue Meadow Designs
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
1-1/2 yards total assorted dark prints (blocks)
1-1/2 yards total assorted light prints (blocks)
5/8 yard brown print (border, binding)
2-1/2 yards backing fabric
44" square batting
Finished quilt: 37-1/2" square
Finished block: 16" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.Download this Project
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click on "Download This Project" to download the full-size patterns.
From assorted dark prints, cut:
16 of Pattern A
8 of Pattern B
From assorted light prints, cut:
16 of Pattern A
8 of Pattern B
From brown print, cut:
4-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-3x37-1/2" border strips
2-3x32-1/2" border strips
Assemble A Units
When joining pieces, be sure to align marked matching points. To do this, push a pin through center of dots on layered pieces.
1. Layer an assorted light print B piece atop an assorted dark print A piece; match center dots on curved edges (Diagram 1).
2. Using slender pins and picking up only a few threads at a time, pin at center, ends, and remaining dots, then generously in between (Diagram 2).
3. Join pieces, removing each pin just before your needle reaches it. Press seam toward A piece (Diagram 3).
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to add a second assorted dark print A piece to opposite edge of B piece to make a Unit A (Diagram 4). Press as before. Unit A should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1–4 to make eight A Units total.Download this Project
Assemble B Units
1. Layer an assorted dark print B piece atop an assorted light print A piece; match center dots on curved edges. Repeat Assemble A Units, steps 2 and 3.
2. Repeat Step 1 to add a second light print A piece to opposite edge of B piece to make a Unit B (Diagram 5). Press seam toward A piece just added. Unit B should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make eight B Units total.Download this Project
1. Referring to Diagram 6, pair two A Units and two B Units. Sew together units in each pair. Press seams toward A Units.
2. Join pairs to make a Melon Patch block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 16-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make four Melon Patch blocks total.Download this Project
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in pairs. Sew together blocks in each pair. Press seams in opposite directions.
2. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 32-1/2" square including seam allowances.Download this Project
Sew short brown print border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long brown print border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.Download this Project
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with brown print binding strips.