Light and Dark Log Cabin Quilt
Rotate finished Log Cabin blocks to create an alternate version of the Light and Dark setting. Centers in a berry hue give a nod to the red centers of traditional Log Cabin blocks. Fabrics are from the Bittersweet collection by Nancy Halvorsen for Benartex.
Inspired by Contrasting Cabins from designer Lissa Alexander
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1/8 yard berry print (block centers)
16-1/8-yard pieces assorted dark prints (blocks)
16-1/8-yard pieces assorted light prints (blocks)
1/2 yard olive green print (binding)
3-1/4 yards backing fabric
57" square batting
Finished quilt: 48-1/2" square
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From berry print, cut:
From each dark print, cut:
From each light print, cut:
From olive green print, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
About the Technique
Following designer Lissa Alexander's lead, quilt tester Laura Boehnke alternated between two different dark prints to make the dark half of each Log Cabin block. To add variety and create a secondary pattern, Laura used matching light prints and stripes in each round, but didn't reuse a fabric in each block.
1. For one block, gather the following: one berry print 2-1/2" square, 1-1/2"-wide strips from one dark print (one each in 2-1/2", 3-1/2", 6-1/2", 7-1/2", 10-1/2", and 11-1/2" lengths), 1-1/2"-wide strips from a second dark print (one each in 4-1/2", 5-1/2", 8-1/2", and 9-1/2" lengths), matching light print 1-1/2x3-1/2" and 1-1/2x4-1/2" strips, matching light print 1-1/2x5-1/2" and 1-1/2x6-1/2" strips, matching light print 1-1/2x7-1/2" and 1-1/2x8-1/2" strips, matching light print 1-1/2x9-1/2" and 1-1/2x10-1/2" strips, and matching light print 1-1/2x11-1/2" and 1-1/2x12-1/2" strips.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together berry print 2-1/2" square and dark print 1-1/2x2-1/2" strip. Press seam away from berry print square.
3. Add dark print 1-1/2x3-1/2" strip to top edge of Step 2 unit (Diagram 2). Press as before.
4. Sew light print 1-1/2x3-1/2" strip to right-hand edge of Step 3 unit (Diagram 3). Then add light print 1-1/2x4-1/2" strip to bottom edge of unit (Diagram 4). Press all seams away from center.
5. Referring to Diagram 5, continue adding assorted print strips to pieced unit, pressing all seams away from center, to make a Log Cabin block. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 1–5 to make 16 Log Cabin blocks total
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Log Cabin blocks in four horizontal rows, rotating blocks as shown for a Light and Dark setting (light and dark squares emerge on point across the quilt top).
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to make quilt top. Press seams in one direction
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with olive green print binding strips.