An Icy Path
Inspired by Flight Plan from designer Kimberly Einmo
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 24--2-1⁄2×21" strips assorted prints in silver, gray, and blue (blocks)
- 1-1⁄4 yards navy print (blocks, border)
- 1⁄2 yard binding fabric
- 2-1⁄2 yards backing fabric
- 43×52" batting
- Acrylic ruler with 45º marking
Finished quilt: 34-3⁄8×44"
Finished blocks: 9-5⁄8" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From navy print, cut:
- 12--6-5⁄8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 24 large triangles total
- 12--4-7⁄8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 24 small triangles total
- 2--3×39" border strips
- 2--3×34-3⁄8" border strips
From binding fabric, cut:
- 5--2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
1. Sew together two assorted print 2-1⁄2×21" strips to make a strip set (Diagram 1). Press seam open. Using a rotary cutter, a ruler with a 45º mark, and a mat, trim end of strip set at a 45º angle. Cutting parallel to the just-cut edge, cut strip set into four 2-1⁄2"-wide diamond pairs.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, layer two diamond pairs with right sides together. Pin, inserting pins into 1⁄4" seams and being careful to intersect seam lines. A small amount of fabric will extend at each end. Slowly sew together pairs, removing each pin just before you reach it. Press seam in one direction to make a diamond unit. Repeat to make a second matching diamond unit.
3. Add a navy print small triangle to one edge of diamond unit (Diagram 3). Add a navy print large triangle to adjacent edge to make block half (Diagram 4). Press all seams toward navy print.
4. Repeat Step 3 to make a mirror-image block half (Diagram 5).
5. Sew together a block half and a mirror-image block half to make a block (Diagram 6). Press seam open. The block should be 10-1⁄8" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 1–5 to make 12 blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for block placement and orientation, lay out blocks in four horizontal rows. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
2. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 29-3⁄8×39" including seam allowances.
1. Add navy print 3×39" border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add navy print 3×34-3/8" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with binding strips.