House and Trees Wall Hanging
Inspired by "All Snowed In" from designer Renée Plains of Liberty Star
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1/8 yard gold print (tree and house blocks)
- 1/8 yard assorted green prints (tree blocks)
- Scrap of brown tone-on-tone (tree blocks)
- Scrap of red stripe (house block roof)
- Scrap of blue plaid (house block door)
- 8" square blue polka dot(house blocks)
- Scrap of gold tone-on-tone (house blocks)
- 10" square blue stripe (house blocks)
- 9x22" piece (fat eighth) green tone-on-tone (sashing)
- 1/2 yard brown-and-blue floral print (border, binding)
- 2/3 yard backing fabric
- 24x27" batting
Finished quilt: 18x20-1/2"
Finished blocks: tree, 4x10"; house, 6x10"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for patterns.
From gold print, cut:
- 1 each of patterns A, B, and C
- 1--2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle
- 14--2-1/2" squares
- 4--2x2-1/2" rectangles
From assorted green prints, cut:
- 7--2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles
From brown tone-on-tone, cut:
- 2--1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangles
From red stripe, cut:
- 1 of Pattern D
From blue plaid, cut:
- 1--2-1/2x6" rectangle
From blue polka dot, cut:
- 1 of Pattern E
From gold tone-on-tone, cut:
- 1--2-1/4x3" rectangle
From blue stripe, cut:
- 1--2-1/4x3-1/2" rectangle
- 3--1-1/4x6" rectangles
- 1--1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle
From green tone-on-tone, cut:
- 1--2x14-1/2" sashing strip
From brown-and-blue floral, cut:
- 3--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 2--3-1/2x20-1/2" border strips
- 2--3-1/2x12" border strips
Assemble Tree Blocks
1. Using a pencil, mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each gold print 2-1/2" square.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, align a marked gold print square with one end of a green print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle. Stitch on marked line. Trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press attached triangle open, pressing seam toward green print.
3. In the same manner, align a second marked gold print square with remaining end of Step 2 green print rectangle. Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Flying Geese unit (Diagram 1). The Flying Geese unit should be 4-1/2x2-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make seven Flying Geese units total.
5. Referring to Diagram 2, join two gold print 2x2-1/2" rectangles and a brown tone-on-tone 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle to make a short stem unit. Press seams toward brown tone-on-tone. The short stem unit should be 4-1/2x2-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make two short stem units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together a gold print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle, three Flying Geese units, and a short stem unit to make a tree block A. Press all seams open. Tree block A should be 4-1/2x10-1/2" including seam allowances.
7. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together remaining Flying Geese units and a short stem unit to make tree block B. Press all seams open. Tree block B should be 4-1/2x10-1/2" including seam allowances.
Assemble House Block
1. Referring to Diagram 5, join a gold print B piece, a gold print C piece, and a red stripe D piece to make a chimney unit. Press seams toward red stripe.
2. Referring to Diagram 6, lay out one chimney unit, one blue polka dot E roof, one gold print A sky triangle, one gold tone-on-tone 2-1/4x3" window rectangle, one blue plaid 21/2x6" door rectangle, and the following blue stripe pieces: three 1-1/4x6" rectangles, one 1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle, and one 2-1/4x3-1/2" rectangle.
3. Sew gold print A sky triangle and chimney unit to blue polka dot E roof. Press seams toward roof.
4. Join gold tone-on-tone 2-1/4x3" window rectangle and blue stripe 2-1/4x3-1/2" rectangle; press seam toward blue stripe. Sew together remaining pieces in bottom section; press seams in one direction. Then join sections and blue stripe 1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle to complete a house block (Diagram 6). Press seams toward blue stripe rectangle. The house block should be 6-1/2x10-1/2" including seam allowances.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Lay out house block and tree blocks A and B in a row (Quilt Assembly Diagram); sew together. Press seams in one direction.
2. Join block row and green tone-on-tone 2x14-1/2" sashing strip to make quilt center; press seam toward sashing strip. The quilt center should be 14-1/2x12" including seam allowances.
Sew short brown-and-blue floral border strips to short edges of quilt center (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Add long brown-and-blue floral border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with brown-and-blue floral binding strips.