House and Trees Wall Hanging
Use house and tree blocks to create a homey wall hanging. Choose stripe fabrics for some of the architectural elements to make it appear as if there are bricks in the chimney and siding on the house. Fabrics are from the Millie's Garden collection by Joined at the Hip for Clothworks.
Inspired by "All Snowed In" from designer Renée Plains of Liberty Star
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
1/8 yard gold print (tree and house blocks)
1/8 yard assorted green prints (tree blocks)
Scrap of brown tone-on-tone (tree blocks)
Scrap of red stripe (house block roof)
Scrap of blue plaid (house block door)
8" square blue polka dot(house blocks)
Scrap of gold tone-on-tone (house blocks)
10" square blue stripe (house blocks)
9x22" piece (fat eighth) green tone-on-tone (sashing)
1/2 yard brown-and-blue floral print (border, binding)
2/3 yard backing fabric
Finished quilt: 18x20-1/2"
Finished blocks: tree, 4x10"; house, 6x10"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for patterns.
From gold print, cut:
1 each of patterns A, B, and C
From assorted green prints, cut:
From brown tone-on-tone, cut:
From red stripe, cut:
1 of Pattern D
From blue plaid, cut:
From blue polka dot, cut:
1 of Pattern E
From gold tone-on-tone, cut:
From blue stripe, cut:
From green tone-on-tone, cut:
1-2x14-1/2" sashing strip
From brown-and-blue floral, cut:
3-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-3-1/2x20-1/2" border strips
2-3-1/2x12" border strips
Assemble Tree Blocks
1. Using a pencil, mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each gold print 2-1/2" square.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, align a marked gold print square with one end of a green print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle. Stitch on marked line. Trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press attached triangle open, pressing seam toward green print.
3. In the same manner, align a second marked gold print square with remaining end of Step 2 green print rectangle. Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Flying Geese unit (Diagram 1). The Flying Geese unit should be 4-1/2x2-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make seven Flying Geese units total.
5. Referring to Diagram 2, join two gold print 2x2-1/2" rectangles and a brown tone-on-tone 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle to make a short stem unit. Press seams toward brown tone-on-tone. The short stem unit should be 4-1/2x2-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make two short stem units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together a gold print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle, three Flying Geese units, and a short stem unit to make a tree block A. Press all seams open. Tree block A should be 4-1/2x10-1/2" including seam allowances.
7. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together remaining Flying Geese units and a short stem unit to make tree block B. Press all seams open. Tree block B should be 4-1/2x10-1/2" including seam allowances.
Assemble House Block
1. Referring to Diagram 5, join a gold print B piece, a gold print C piece, and a red stripe D piece to make a chimney unit. Press seams toward red stripe.
2. Referring to Diagram 6, lay out one chimney unit, one blue polka dot E roof, one gold print A sky triangle, one gold tone-on-tone 2-1/4x3" window rectangle, one blue plaid 21/2x6" door rectangle, and the following blue stripe pieces: three 1-1/4x6" rectangles, one 1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle, and one 2-1/4x3-1/2" rectangle.
3. Sew gold print A sky triangle and chimney unit to blue polka dot E roof. Press seams toward roof.
4. Join gold tone-on-tone 2-1/4x3" window rectangle and blue stripe 2-1/4x3-1/2" rectangle; press seam toward blue stripe. Sew together remaining pieces in bottom section; press seams in one direction. Then join sections and blue stripe 1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle to complete a house block (Diagram 6). Press seams toward blue stripe rectangle. The house block should be 6-1/2x10-1/2" including seam allowances.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Lay out house block and tree blocks A and B in a row (Quilt Assembly Diagram); sew together. Press seams in one direction.
2. Join block row and green tone-on-tone 2x14-1/2" sashing strip to make quilt center; press seam toward sashing strip. The quilt center should be 14-1/2x12" including seam allowances.
Sew short brown-and-blue floral border strips to short edges of quilt center (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Add long brown-and-blue floral border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with brown-and-blue floral binding strips.