High Fashion Wall Hanging
Inspired by Corner Pocket from designers Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle of Modern Quilt Studio
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 1-1⁄4 yard total assorted prints in black, white, red, and gray (blocks)
- 7⁄8 yard total assorted mottled prints in gray, red, and black ("sashing" in blocks)
- 3⁄4 yard mottled gray (border, binding)
- 2-5⁄8 yards backing fabric
- 47" square batting
Finished quilt: 38-3⁄8" square
Finished block: 8" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted prints, cut:
- 24--6-1⁄2" squares
From assorted mottled prints, cut 24 matching sets of:
- 1--2-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" strip
- 1--2-1⁄2x6-1⁄2" strip
From mottled gray, cut:
- 5--2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
- 2--2-1⁄2x38-3⁄8" border strips
- 2--2-1⁄2x34-3⁄8" border strips
Sew a mottled print 2-1⁄2x6-1⁄2" strip to one edge of a print 6-1⁄2" square (Block Assembly Diagram). Add matching mottled print 2-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" strip to adjacent edge to make a block. Press seams open. The block should be 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 24 blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Center Assembly Diagram, lay out 24 blocks in six diagonal rows.
2. Sew together blocks in each diagonal row. Press seams open. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams open.
3. Referring to Cutting Diagram, trim top and bottom edges of quilt center 1⁄4" beyond block corners. Trim side edges of quilt center 1⁄4" beyond block centers. The quilt center should be 34-3⁄8" square including seam allowances.
Sew mottled gray 2-1⁄2x34-3⁄8" border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add mottled gray 2-1⁄2x38-3⁄8" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with mottled gray binding strips.