Funky Fusible Flowers
Use fusible appliqué and a small zigzag stitch to assemble a wall hanging using the April Showers Bring Sunflowers collection by Art of Possibility Studios for FreeSpirit.
Inspired by Imagine That From designer Tonye Belinda Phillips.
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
5/8 yard gray print (bowl appliqué, stamen appliqués)
1 yard blue-and-yellow print (appliqué foundation)
2/3 yard green print (stem appliqués, tendril appliqués, inner border)
1-1/2 yards multicolor print (stamen appliqués, outer border, binding)
5x10" rectangle of circle print (flower appliqués)
6" square orange dot (flower appliqué)
1/8 yard purple dot (inner border)
1/4 yard each of orange print No. 1 and orange print No. 2 (flower appliqués, inner border)
7" square yellow-and-red floral (flower appliqué)
1/4 yard blue tone-on-tone (inner border)
1/8 yard yellow-and-blue floral (inner border)
3-1/8 yards backing fabric
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 46-1/2x53-1/2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for patterns.
To use fusible web for appliqués, complete the following steps.
1. Cut a 5x15" rectangle of fusible web. Press fusible-web rectangle onto wrong side of green print. Cut fused rectangle into 4-1/2x14" stem appliqué strips and 2-1/2x10" stem appliqué strips.
2. Cut a 7" square of fusible web. Press fusible-web square onto wrong side of multicolor print. Cut fused rectangle into 1-1/4x5" stamen appliqué, 2-1/4x4-1/2" stamen appliqués, 12 -1/4x3-1/2" stamen appliqués, and 7 -1/4x2-1/2" stamen appliqués.
3. Lay additional fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines
4. Following manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong sides of designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From gray print, cut:
1 of Pattern A
22 of Pattern J
From blue-and-yellow print, cut:
1-30-1/2x38-1/2" foundation rectangle
From green print, cut:
5 of Pattern B
4 of Pattern B reversed
From multicolor print, cut:
5-5-1/2x42" strips for outer border
6-2-1/2x42" binding strips
9 of Pattern C
From circle print, cut:
1 of Pattern D
1 of Pattern H
From orange dot, cut:
1 of Pattern E
From orange print No. 1, cut:
1 of Pattern F
From purple dot, cut:
2-1-1/2x36-1/2" inner border strips
From orange print No. 2, cut:
1 of Pattern G
From yellow-and-red floral, cut:
1 of Pattern I
From blue tone-on-tone, cut:
From yellow-and-blue floral, cut:
2-1-1/2x38-1/2" inner border strips
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, place gray print A vase appliqué on blue-and-yellow print 30-1/2x38-1/2" foundation rectangle. Tuck an end of each green stem appliqué under top edge of vase. To help decide placement and length of stems, arrange appliqué pieces B-J and multicolor print stamen appliqués on foundation, adjusting stamen lengths as desired. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse pieces in place.
2. Working from bottom layer to the top, use coordinating thread and a small zigzag stitch to machine-appliqué pieces in place.
Assemble and Add Inner Border Units
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each blue tone-on-tone 2-7/8" square.
2. Layer a marked blue tone-on-tone square atop an orange print No. 1-2-7/8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam away from blue tone-on-tone, to make two blue-and-orange triangle-squares. Each should be 2-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 38 blue-and-orange triangle-squares total.
3. Using green print 2-7/8" squares instead of orange print No. 1 squares, repeat Step 2 to make 18 blue-and-green triangle‑squares total (Diagram 2).
4. Sew together 19 blue-and-orange triangle-squares in a row (Quilt Assembly Diagram, note direction of seams). Press seams in one direction. Join triangle-square row to a yellow-and-blue floral 1-1/2x38-1/2" strip to make a side inner border unit. Press seam toward yellow-and-blue floral strip. The unit should be 3-1/2x38-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second side inner border unit. Sew side inner border units to side edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border units.
5. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, join 18 blue-and-green triangle-squares in a row; press seams in one direction. Add triangle-square row to purple dot 1-1/2x36-1/2" strip to make bottom inner border unit. Press seam toward purple dot strip. The unit should be 3-1/2x36-1/2" including seam allowances. Add bottom inner border unit to bottom edge of quilt center. Press seam toward border unit.
6. Sew together blue tone-on-tone 1-1/2x30" strip and orange print No. 2-1-1/2x30" strip to make a strip set (Diagram 3). Press seam toward orange print No. 2. Cut strip set into 18-1-1/2"-wide segments. Join segments along short edges to make a checkerboard row (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press seams toward orange print No. 2. The checkerboard row should be 1-1/2x36-1/2" including seam allowances.
7. Sew together checkerboard row and purple dot 1-1/2x36-1/2" strip to make top inner border unit. Press seam toward purple dot. The unit should be 2-1/2x36-1/2" including seam allowances. Add to top edge of quilt center. Press seam toward border unit.
Add Outer Border
1. Cut and piece multicolor print 5-1/2x42" strips to make:
2-5-1/2x46-1/2" outer border strips
2-5-1/2x43-1/2" outer border strips
2. Sew short outer border strips to side edges of quilt center. Add long outer border strips to top and bottom edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with multicolor print binding strips.