Funky Crossroads Wall Hanging
Inspired By: "Contemporary Crossroads" from Designer Marti Michell
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1/8 yard each of green floral and light blue print (blocks)
- 1/2 yard brown circle print (blocks)
- 1/2 yard total assorted green and turquoise prints (blocks)
- 1/3 yard blue stripe (inner border)
- 1 yard brown floral (outer border, binding)
- 1-1/3 yards backing fabric
- 46" square batting
Finished quilt: 39-1/2" square
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities are for 44⁄45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each of green floral and light blue print, cut:
- 8--3-1/2" squares
From brown circle print, cut:
- 8--6-1/2" squares
From assorted green and turquoise prints, cut:
- 32--3-1/2" squares
From blue stripe, cut:
- 2--2x27-1/2" inner border strips
- 2--2x24-1/2" inner border strips
From brown floral, cut:
- 2--5x39-1/2" outer border strips
- 2--5x30-1/2" outer border strips
- 5--2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each green floral and light blue print 3-1/2" square.
2. Align a marked green floral 3-1/2" square with one corner of a brown circle print 6-1/2" square (Diagram 1; note direction of drawn line). Sew on the drawn line; trim excess, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle.
3. Align a marked light blue print 3-1/2" square with opposite corner of brown circle print square (Diagram 1; again note direction of drawn line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Floating Star unit. The unit should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make eight Floating Star units total.
5. Sew together four assorted green and turquoise print 3-1/2" squares in pairs (Diagram 2). Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make eight Four-Patch units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together two Four-Patch units and two Floating Star units in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make an Arkansas Crossroads block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four Arkansas Crossroads blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in rows, noting direction of Floating Star units.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 24-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Sew short inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
5. Sew short outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with brown floral binding strips.