Framed Rectangles Quilt
Show off large-scale prints in the centers of rectangular blocks, then alternate blocks in a simple checkerboard fashion for an easy-to-assemble wall quilt. Fabrics are from the Wild Ginger collection for Timeless Treasures.
1/4 yard each of red print Nos. 1 and 2 (blocks)
1/2 yard each of black print and cream tone-on-tone (blocks)
1/2 yard each of red-and-black floral and red-and-cream floral (blocks)
1/2 yard solid black (binding)
2-3/4 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 40-1/2x42-1/2"
Finished block: 8x14"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From red print No. 1, cut:
From red print No. 2, cut:
From black print, cut:
From cream tone-on-tone, cut:
From red-and-black floral, cut:
From red-and-cream floral, cut:
From solid black, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out four red print No. 1-2-1/2" squares, two black print 2-1/2x10-1/2" rectangles, two black print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles, and a red-and-black floral 4-1/2x10-1/2" rectangle in three horizontal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward black print rectangles. Join rows to make a red-and-black block. Press seams toward middle row. The block should be 8-1/2x14-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make eight red-and-black blocks total.
4. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out four red print No. 2-2-1/2" squares, two cream tone-on-tone 2-1/2x10-1/2" rectangles, two cream tone-on-tone 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles, and a red-and-cream floral 4-1/2x10-1/2" rectangle in three horizontal rows.
5. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams away from cream tone-on-tone rectangles. Join rows to make a red-and-cream block. Press seams away from middle row. The block should be 8-1/2x14-1/2" including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make seven red-and-cream blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in three horizontal rows, alternating red-and-black blocks and red-and-cream blocks.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to complete quilt top; press seams in one direction.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with solid black binding strips.