Framed Floral Wall Hanging
Frame a single beautiful block in fabric. A mitered a middle border enhances the effect. Use Jinny Beyer's Hermitage collection for RJR Fabrics to achieve the serene, evening-garden palette.
Inspired by "Mixed Bouquet" from designer Mabeth Oxenreider
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
1/4 yard cream print (block, inner border)
10" square purple print (block)
1/8 yard magenta print (block)
1/8 yard green print (block)
1/3 yard purple-and-green stripe (middle border)
1 yard purple floral (outer border, binding)
1 yard backing fabric
36" square batting
Finished quilt: 29-1/2" square
Finished block: 10" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for patterns.
From cream print, cut:
2-2-1/2x14-1/2" inner border strips
2-2-1/2x10-1/2" inner border strips
24 of Pattern A or 12-2-1/4" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 24 A triangles total
From purple print, cut:
4 each of patterns B and B reversed
From magenta print, cut:
4 each of patterns C and C reversed
From green print, cut:
4 of Pattern D
From purple-and-green stripe, cut:
4-2-1/2x19-1/2" strips for middle border, centering them over purple stripe
From purple floral, cut:
4-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-6x29-1/2" outer border strips
2-6x18-1/2" outer border strips
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out three cream print A triangles, one purple print B piece, and one magenta print C piece in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward cream triangles. Join rows to make subunit A. Press seams open. Repeat to make four total of subunit A.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out three cream print A triangles, one purple print B reversed piece, and one magenta print C reversed piece in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward cream print triangles. Join rows to make subunit B. Press seams open. Repeat to make four total of subunit B.
3. Sew together one each of subunits A and B to make a quarter star unit (Diagram 3). Press seam open. Repeat to make four quarter star units total.
4. Add green print D pieces to opposite edges of a magenta print 1-1/2" square to make subunit C (Diagram 4). Press seams toward D pieces.
5. Referring to Diagram 5, lay out the remaining green print D pieces, quarter star units, and subunit C in three rows. Join pieces in each row. Press seams toward D pieces. Join rows to make a Chrysanthemum block. Press seams toward subunit C. The block should be 10-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew short cream print inner border strips to opposite edges of block. Add long cream print inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border. The quilt center now should be 14-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2. Aligning midpoints, sew purple-and-green stripe middle border strips to opposite edges of quilt center, beginning and ending seams 1/4" from quilt center corners. In the same manner, sew remaining purple-and-green stripe middle border strips to remaining edges, mitering corners. Press all seams toward middle border. The quilt center now should be 18-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Sew short purple floral outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long purple floral outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with purple floral binding strips.