Fast Flying Geese Wall Hanging
Inspired by "Fly Into Spring" from designer Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day and Teresa Varnes
Quilt Tester: Laura Boehnke
- 7/8 yard blue tone-on-tone (Flying Geese units)
- 5--18x22" pieces (fat quarters) assorted prints in orange and green (Flying Geese units)
- 5/8 yard medium floral (sashing)
- 1-3/4 yards large floral (borders, binding)
- 3-1/8 yards backing fabric
- 55x63" batting
Finished quilt: 48-1/2x56-1/2"
Finished Flying Geese unit: 8x4"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From blue tone-on-tone, cut:
- 48--4-1/2" squares
From assorted orange and green prints, cut:
- 24--4-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles
From medium floral, cut:
- 2--8-1/2x32-1/2" sashing strips
From large floral, cut:
- 5--8-1/2x42" strips for border
- 6--2-1/4x42" binding strips
Assemble Flying Geese Units
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each blue tone-on-tone 4-1/2" square.
2. Align a marked blue tone-on-tone 4-1/2" square with one end of an assorted print 4-1/2x8-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 1; note direction of drawn line). Sew on marked line; trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press open attached triangle.
3. Align a marked blue tone-on-tone 4-1/2" square with opposite end of Step 2 rectangle (Diagram 2; again note direction of marked line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Flying Geese unit. The unit should be 8-1/2x4-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make 24 Flying Geese units total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Lay out Flying Geese units in three vertical rows. Sew together the units in rows. To easily keep all rows identical, assembly-line-sew the first two units in each row without clipping connecting threads. Add remaining Flying Geese units in same manner, then clip connecting threads. Press seams toward top of each row.
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together Flying Geese rows and medium floral sashing strips to complete quilt center. Press seams toward sashing strips. The quilt center should be 32-1/2x40-1/2" including seam allowances.
1. Cut and piece large floral 8-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 2--8-1/2x48-1/2" border strips
- 2--8-1/2x40-1/2" border strips
2. Sew short border strips to short edges of quilt center.
3. Sew long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with large floral binding strips.