Eight-Pointed Stars Wall Hanging
Bold and bright prints in the setting triangles and border draw attention to the perimeter of this playful, five-block wall hanging. Fabrics are from the Phoebe collection by Wendy Slotboom for In the Beginning Fabrics.
Inspired by Star Formation from designers Paula Barnes and Mary Ellen Robison of Bonnie Blue Quilts
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1/2 yard white print (blocks)
5-7"-square pieces assorted pink prints (blocks)
1/8 yard brown paisley (blocks)
1/3 yard brown-and-pink polka dot (sashing)
1/8 yard green floral (sashing)
1/2 yard multicolor squares print (setting and corner triangles)
1-1/8 yards multicolor floral (border, binding)
2-7/8 yards backing fabric
50" square batting
Finished quilt: 41-1/2" square
Finished block: 8" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From white print, cut:
From each assorted pink print, cut:
From brown paisley, cut:
From brown-and-pink polka dot, cut:
16-2-1/2x8-1/2" sashing rectangles
From green floral, cut:
12-2-1/2" sashing squares
From multicolor squares print, cut:
1-15-1/2" square, cutting it diagonally twice in an X for 4 setting triangles total
2-9-3/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
From multicolor floral, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-5-1/2x41-1/2" border strips
2-5-1/2x31-1/2" border strips
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each white print 2-7/8" square.
2. Layer a marked white print square atop an assorted pink print 2-7/8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seams toward pink print, to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 2-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat Step 2 to make 40 triangle-squares total.
4. Sew together two matching triangle-squares to make a star point unit (Diagram 2). Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 4-1/2x2-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make 20 star point units total.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together two brown paisley 2-1/2" squares and two white print 2-1/2" squares in pairs. Press seams toward brown paisley. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch unit; press seam in one direction. The unit should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make five Four-Patch units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 4, lay out four white print 2-1/2" squares, four matching star point units, and one Four-Patch unit in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row; press seams away from star point units. Join rows to make a star block. Press seams toward middle row. The block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make five star blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, brown-and-pink polka dot sashing rectangles, and green floral 2-1/2" sashing squares in seven diagonal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row; press seams toward sashing rectangles.
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, join each one-block row and its adjacent sashing row. Press seams toward sashing rows. Sew multicolor squares print setting triangles to ends of each one-block row, aligning a short triangle edge with block row edge; a triangle tip will extend past the opposite block row edge.
4. Join the three-block row and its adjacent sashing rows. Press seams toward sashing rows.
5. Sew together all rows; press seams toward sashing rows. Add multicolor squares print corner triangles to make quilt center. Press seams toward corner triangles. The quilt center should be 31-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Sew multicolor floral 5-1/2x31-1/2" border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add multicolor floral 5-1/2x41-1/2" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with multicolor floral binding strips.