Easy Squares Quilt
Inspired by Motley Crew from designer Jennifer Schifano Eutsler
Quilt tester: Mary Pepper
- 3/4 yard multicolor floral (quilt center)
- 1-1/4 yards black-and-white print (sashing, border, binding)
- 1/4 yard multicolor plaid (sashing, border corners) (You likely will need more fabric if you wish to fussy-cut squares around desired portion of plaid, as in the featured project.)
- 1-1/2 yards backing fabric
- 43x53" batting
Finished quilt: 34-1/2x44-1/2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From multicolor floral, cut:
- 12--8-1/2" squares
From black-and-white print, cut:
- 5--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 2--3-1/2x38-1/2" border strips
- 2--3-1/2x28-1/2" border strips
- 17--2-1/2x8-1/2" sashing rectangles
From multicolor plaid, cut:
- 4--3-1/2" border squares
- 6--2-1/2" sashing squares
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out multicolor floral 8-1/2" squares, black-and-white print sashing rectangles, and multicolor plaid 2-1/2" sashing squares in seven horizontal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward sashing rectangles.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams toward sashing rows. The quilt center should be 28-1/2x38-1/2" including seam allowances.
Assemble and Add Border
1. Join black-and-white print 3-1/2x38-1/2" border strips to long edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border.
2. Sew a multicolor plaid 3-1/2" square to each end of black-and-white print 3-1/2x28-1/2" border strips to make two pieced border strips. Press seams away from squares. Add pieced border strips to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with black-and-white print binding strips.