Easy Row Quilt
Inspired by Row by Row from designer Sandy Klop of American Jane Patterns
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
5/8 yard total assorted red prints (quilt center, inner border)
7/8 yard total assorted green, yellow, purple, and turquoise prints (quilt center)
1-1/4 yards dark brown print (quilt center, outer border, binding)
2-7/8 yards backing fabric
51" square batting
Finished quilt: 42-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut outer border and binding strips lengthwise (parallel to the selvages).
From assorted red prints, cut:
2-2-1/2x38-1/2" inner border strips
2-2-1/2x34-1/2" inner border strips
From scraps of assorted red prints and from assorted green, yellow, purple, and turquoise prints, cut 13 matching sets of:
From scraps of assorted prints, cut eight matching sets of:
From scraps of assorted prints, cut:
From dark brown print, cut:
2-2-1/2x42-1/2" outer border strips
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-2-1/2x38-1/2" outer border strips
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out all pieces, except border and binding strips, in 17 horizontal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press all seams toward dark brown print pieces.
3. Join rows 5–7; press seams in one direction. Then add an assorted print 2-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle to each end of joined rows. Press seams away from rectangles. Repeat to join rows 11–13.
4. Join all rows to make quilt center. Press all seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 34-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Sew assorted red print 2-1/2x34-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add assorted red print 2-1/2x38-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border.
2. Add dark brown print 2-1/2x38-1/2" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add dark brown print 2-1/2x42-1/2" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind quilt with dark brown print binding strips.