Double the Fun
Inspired by Ring Around from designer Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 17--7" squares of assorted prints (A, B, E, F, and G appliqués)
- 3--12" squares of assorted prints (C and D appliqués)
- 3⁄4 yard purple print (appliqué foundation)
- 3⁄8 yard purple stripe (inner border)
- 3⁄4 yard purple swirl (outer border)
- 1⁄2 yard paisley print (binding)
- 2-1⁄2 yards backing fabric
- 43×58" batting
- Lightweight fusible web
- Clear monofilament thread (or thread to match appliqués)
Finished quilt: 34-1⁄2×50"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern pieces. Patterns A–D are quarter rings. To make a full ring pattern, fold a sheet of paper in fourths and trace a quarter ring pattern on folded paper. Cut out on traced lines and unfold.
To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong sides of designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From assorted print 7" squares, cut:
- 3 each of patterns A and E
- 4 each of patterns B and F
- 2 of Pattern G
- 1 of Pattern H
From assorted print 12" squares, cut:
- 2 of Pattern C
- 1 of Pattern D
From purple print, cut:
- 1--24-1⁄2×40" rectangle
From purple stripe, cut:
- 2--1-1⁄2×40" inner border strips
- 2--1-1⁄2×26-1⁄2" inner border strips
From purple swirl, cut:
- 2--4-1⁄2×42" outer border strips
- 2--4-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" outer border strips
From paisley print, cut:
- 5--2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
Assemble and Appliqué Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, arrange assorted print rings and circles on purple print 24-1⁄2×40" rectangle.
2. Fuse rings and circles in place following manufacturer's instructions. Using a satin stitch and clear monofilament thread or thread colors that match the appliqués, stitch around each appliqué to make quilt center.
3. Sew purple stripe 1-1⁄2×40" inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add purple stripe 1-1⁄2×26-1⁄2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border.
4. Sew purple swirl 4-1⁄2×42" outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add purple swirl 4-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Handi Quilter educator Vicki Hoth machine-quilted curved-line motifs, including feathers, ribbon candy, arcs, and lines that follow the fabric motifs inside each circle appliqué (Quilting Diagram).
TIP: To stitch continuous-line circles as Vicki did in the outer border, use a figure-eight pattern. Stitch around circles diagonally in one direction, then reverse directions, stitching the opposite way to complete the circles (Border Quilting Diagram).
3. Bind with paisley print binding strips.