Celebrate autumn with a wall quilt composed of traditional Churn Dash blocks pieced in fall-inspired prints.
Designer: Sherri McConnell
Finished size: 18-1⁄2" square
Finished block: 4-1⁄2" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1⁄2 yard cream tone-on-tone (blocks, border)
- 11--5" squares assorted prints in burgundy, orange, teal, and brown (blocks)
- 1⁄8 yard cream print (sashing)
- 1⁄4 yard orange print (binding)
- 3⁄4 yard backing fabric
- 27" square batting
Cut pieces in the following order.
Each Churn Dash block requires cream tone-on-tone and three prints of the same color.
From cream tone-on-tone, cut:
- 2--2×18-1⁄2" border strips
- 2--2×15-1⁄2" border strips
- 18--2-3⁄8" squares
- 9--2" squares
- 36--1-1⁄4×2" rectangles
From assorted burgundy, orange, teal, and brown prints, cut:
- 18--2-3⁄8" squares (9 sets of 2 matching squares)
- 18--1-1⁄4×5" strips (9 sets of 2 strips in same color)
From one remaining burgundy print, cut:
- 4--1-1⁄4" sashing squares
From cream print, cut:
- 12--1-1⁄4×5" sashing strips
From orange print, cut:
- 2--2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each cream tone-on-tone 2-3⁄8" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2) Layer a marked cream tone-on-tone square atop an assorted print 2-3⁄8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
3) Cut apart on drawn line and press open to make two triangle-squares (Diagram 1). Each should be 2" square including seam allowances.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 using matching print 2-3⁄8" square to make four matching triangle-squares total.
5) Repeat steps 2-4 to make 36 triangle-squares total (nine sets of four matching triangle-squares).
Assemble Side Units
1) Sew together two assorted print 1-1⁄4×5" strips in the same color to make a strip set. The strip set should be 2×5" including seam allowances. Cut into four 1-1⁄4×2" segments (Diagram 2).
2) Join a segment and a cream tone-on-tone 1-1⁄4×2" rectangle along long edges to make a side unit (Diagram 3). The side unit should be 2" square including seam allowances.
3) Repeat Step 2 to make four matching side units total.
4) Repeat steps 1-3 to make 36 side units total (nine sets of four matching side units).
Assemble Churn Dash Blocks
1) For one Churn Dash block, gather four matching triangle-squares, one cream tone-on-tone 2" square, and four matching side units.
2) Referring to Diagram 4, sew together Step 1 pieces in three horizontal rows. Join rows to make a Churn Dash block. The block should be 5" square including seam allowances.
3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make nine Churn Dash blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Churn Dash blocks, cream print sashing strips, and burgundy print sashing squares in five horizontal rows.
2) Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward cream print sashing strips.
3) Join rows to make quilt center; press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 15-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
Join cream tone-on-tone 2×15-1⁄2" border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add cream tone-on-tone 2×18-1⁄2" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2) Quilt as desired. Val Krueger machine-quilted curlicues across the quilt top.
3) Bind with orange print binding strips.