Bolts of Blue
Mix your favorite blue prints in a scrappy wall hanging that will have you doing anything but singing the blues. Choosing prints with splashes of white keeps the strips in the tone-on-tone sashing from getting lost. Fabrics are from the Spa collection by Deb Strain for Moda Fabrics.
Inspired by 3 in a Row from Cherri House of Cherry House Quilts (cherryhousequilts.com)
Quilt testers: Kathleen Williams and Judy Sams Sohn
2-1⁄8 yards blue stripe (blocks, sashing, binding)
17-9x22" pieces (fat eighths) assorted blue prints (blocks)
3-1⁄8 yards backing fabric
55" square batting
Finished quilt: 47" square
Finished block: 7-1⁄2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics unless otherwise specified.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From blue stripe, cut:
5-2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
9-2x42" strips for sashing
20-2x8" sashing rectangles
From each assorted blue print, cut:
Sew together three matching blue print 2x21" strips and two blue stripe 2x21" strips to make a strip set (Strip Set Diagram). Press seams toward blue print strips. Cut strip set into two 8"-wide blocks. Each block should be 8" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 25 blocks total (eight sets of two matching blocks and nine single blocks; set aside remaining strip sets from single blocks to use in other projects).
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Cut and piece blue stripe 2x42" strips to make the following:
2-2x47" sashing strips
6-2x44" sashing strips
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, blue stripe 2x8" sashing rectangles, and 2x44" sashing strips in 11 vertical rows, rotating every other block 90 degrees.
3. Sew together pieces in each block row. Press seams toward sashing rectangles. Join block rows and 2x44" sashing strips to make quilt center; press seams toward sashing strips.
4. Join blue stripe 2x47" sashing strips to top and bottom edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward borders.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue stripe binding strips.