Inspired by "Sweet Tweet" designer Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 5/8 yard total assorted white-and-blue prints (blocks)
- 1/3 yard total assorted blue prints (blocks)
- 5/8 yard blue paisley (setting squares)
- 1/3 yard white-and-blue geometric (inner border)
- 1-1/3 yards blue-and-white floral (outer border, binding)
- 3 yards backing fabric
- 53" square batting
Finished quilt: 46-1/2" square
Finished Pinwheel block: 6" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut outer border and binding strips lengthwise (parallel to the selvages).
From assorted white-and-blue prints, cut:
- 13--4-1/4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 52 medium triangles total (13 sets of 4 triangles)
- 26--3-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 52 large triangles total (13 sets of 4 triangles to match each set above)
From assorted blue prints, cut:
- 13--4-1/4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 52 medium triangles total
From blue paisley, cut:
- 12--6-1/2" setting squares
From white-and-blue geometric, cut:
- 2--2-1/2x34-1/2" inner border strips
- 2--2-1/2x30-1/2" inner border strips
From blue-and-white floral, cut:
- 2--6-1/2x46-1/2" outer border strips
- 2--6-1/2x34-1/2" outer border strips
- 5--2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together a white-and-blue print medium triangle and a blue print medium triangle along short edges to make a triangle pair. Press seam toward blue print medium triangle.
2. Add a matching white-and-blue large triangle to long edge of triangle pair to make a pieced square (Diagram 2). Press seam toward large triangle.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make four matching pieced squares.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together the four pieced squares in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Pinwheel block. Press seam in one direction. The Pinwheel block should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 to make 13 Pinwheel blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Pinwheel blocks and setting squares in rows, alternating blocks and setting squares.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting squares.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 30-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew short white-and-blue geometric inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long white-and-blue geometric inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border. The quilt center now should be 34-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2. Sew short blue-and-white floral outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long blue-and-white floral outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue-and-white floral binding strips.