Big Print Wall Hanging
Inspired by "Baby Talk" from designer Rhoda Nelson
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1/4 yard red print (blocks)
- 1/2 yard brown print (blocks, inner border)
- 1/4 yard each of orange and red polka dot (blocks)
- 1/4 yard each of gold and pink print (blocks)
- 1/8 yard red-and-tan print (blocks)
- 1 yard red floral (outer border, binding)
- 1-1/4 yards backing fabric
- 42" square batting
Finished quilt: 36-1/2" square
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" to download templates and get tips for using template pieces.
From red print, cut:
- 16 of Pattern A
From brown print, cut:
- 2--2x27-1/2" inner border strips
- 2--2x24-1/2" inner border strips
- 16 of Pattern B
From each of the red and orange polka dots, cut:
- 16 of Pattern C
From each of the gold and pink prints, cut:
- 16 of Pattern C
From red-and-tan print, cut:
- 8--3-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 16 triangles total
From red floral, cut:
- 2--5x36-1/2" outer border strips
- 2--5x27-1/2" outer border strips
- 4--2-1/2x42" binding strips
When joining pieces A, B, and C, be sure to align marked matching points. To do this, push a pin through center of dots when pieces are layered.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together a red print A piece and a brown print B triangle to make a narrow pieced triangle. Press seam toward brown print. Repeat to make 16 narrow pieced triangles total.
2. Aligning marked matching points, sew orange and red polka dot C triangles to opposite long edges of a gold print C triangle (Diagram 2). Press seams toward polka dot triangles.
3. Add a pink print C triangle to remaining edge of Step 2 gold C triangle to make a wide pieced triangle (Diagram 3). Press seam toward pink print triangle.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 16 wide pieced triangles total.
5. Sew together a narrow pieced triangle and a wide pieced triangle to make a triangle pair (Diagram 4). Press seam toward wide pieced triangle. Repeat to make 16 triangle pairs total.
6. Sew together two triangle pairs to make a half unit (Diagram 5). Press seam toward wide pieced triangle. Repeat with remaining pairs to make eight half units total.
7. Join two half units to make a center unit (Diagram 6). Press seam in one direction. Repeat to make four center units total.
8. Add a red-and-tan print triangle to a corner of a center unit; press seam toward red-and-tan print. Repeat with remaining corners of center unit to make a block (Diagram 7). The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together blocks in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions.
2. Join pairs to make quilt center. Press seam in one direction. The quilt center should be 24-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Sew short brown print inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long brown print inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border.
2. Sew short red floral outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long red floral outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with red floral binding strips.