Asian-Print Appliqué Wall Quilt
Showcase appliquéd golden petals on regal purple foundations in a wall hanging quilt. Metallic prints from the My Asian Garden collection by Ro Gregg for Northcott Silk add another hint of elegance.
Inspired by Going Green from designer Darlene Zimmerman
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
5/8 yard light purple tone-on-tone (blocks)
1 yard gold tone-on-tone (appliqués, inner border, binding)
1/2 yard dark purple tone-on-tone (blocks)
1/2 yards multicolor floral (blocks, outer border)
1/4 yard turquoise floral (blocks)
3/8 yard purple floral (outer border)
1-1/2 yards backing fabric
38x51" square batting
Finished quilt: 29-1/2x42-1/2"
Finished block: 6-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for pattern. To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over pattern. Use a pencil to trace the pattern 32 times, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From light purple tone-on-tone, cut:
From gold tone-one-tone, cut:
4-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-1-1/4x33" inner border strips
2-1-1/4x21-1/2" inner border strips
32 of Pattern
From dark purple tone-on-tone, cut:
From multicolor floral, cut:
2-4-1/2x29-1/2" outer border strips
From turquoise floral, cut
From purple floral, cut:
2-4-1/2x34-1/2" outer border strips
1. Fold a light purple tone-on-tone 7" square in half diagonally twice; finger-press to make placement guidelines. Referring to Diagram 1, use guidelines to position four gold tone-on-tone petal appliqués on square with points of petals almost touching in center. Press in place.
2. Using a satin stitch and thread that matches the petal fabric, stitch around each petal appliqué to make an appliquéd block. The block should be 7" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make eight appliquéd blocks total.
Assemble Pieced Blocks
Sew dark purple tone-on-tone 2x4" rectangles to opposite edges of a multicolor floral 4" square (Diagram 2). Add dark purple tone-on-tone 2x7" rectangles to remaining edges to make a pieced block. Press all seams toward rectangles. The block should be 7" square including seam allowances. Repeat with remaining multicolor floral 4" squares and turquoise floral 4" squares to make seven pieced blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in five rows, alternating appliquéd and pieced blocks. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams toward pieced blocks.
2. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 20x33" including seam allowances.
3. Sew gold tone-on-tone 1-1/4x33" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add gold tone-on-tone 1-1/4x21-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border. The quilt center now should be 21-1/2x34-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Sew purple floral 4-1/2x34-1/2" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add multicolor floral 4-1/2x29-1/2" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with gold tone-on-tone binding strips.