Appliquéd Lamps Wall Quilt
Inspired by Made in the Shade from designers Lauren Jung and Jessi Jung
Quilt tester: Monique Dillard
12-18x22" pieces (fat quarters) assorted blue prints, dots, and stripes (appliqué foundations, appliqués)
7/8 yard blue-and-white dot (sashing, inner border)
1-3/8 yards blue-and-white floral (outer border, binding)
1-1/2 yards lightweight fusible web
3-1/4 yards backing fabric
Monofilament thread (optional)
Embroidery floss: white, dark blue
Finished quilt: 50x59"
Finished block: 11x14"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.Download this Project
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "download this project" for patterns, tips on making and using templates, and a coloring diagram.
To use fusible web for appliquéing patterns C-F, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace patterns C, D, E, and F nine times each, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong sides of fabrics indicated in cutting instructions; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From assorted blue prints, dots, and stripes, cut:
9 each of patterns A, B, C, D, E, and F
From blue-and-white dot, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" strips for inner border
2-2-1/2x37-1/2" sashing strips
6-2-1/2x14-1/2" sashing rectangles
From blue-and-white floral, cut:
6-4-3/4x42" strips for outer border
6-2-1/2x42" binding stripsDownload this Project
Assemble Appliqué Foundations
1. Referring to Foundation Piecing Diagram, match dots and sew together a blue print, dot, or stripe A piece and a blue print, dot, or stripe B piece to make an appliqué foundation. Press seam toward B piece. The appliqué foundation should be 12x15" including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make nine appliqué foundations total.
1. Fold an appliqué foundation in half horizontally and vertically; press to make placement guidelines, then unfold.
2. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange a C lamp, D finial, E lampshade, and F pull atop appliqué foundation; fuse in place following manufacturer's instructions. Place a stabilizer under the appliqué foundation. Thread your sewing machine needle with monofilament or matching cotton thread, fill the bobbin with cotton thread, and set the machine for a zigzag stitch. Machine-appliqué the edges of each shape.
3. Referring to Pattern E for placement, use two strands of white or dark blue embroidery floss to stem-stitch a straight line from bottom of lampshade to pull. To stem stitch, pull needle up at A, then insert it back into fabric at B, about 1/4" away from A (Stem Stitch Diagram). Holding floss out of the way, bring needle back up at C and pull floss through so it lies flat against fabric. Pull gently with equal tautness after each stitch. Continue in same manner, holding thread out of the way on same side of stitching every time.
4. With the appliqué centered, trim foundation to 11-1/2x14-1/2" including seam allowances to make an appliquéd block.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 to make nine appliquéd blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks and blue-and-white dot sashing strips and rectangles in five horizontal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each block row. Press seams toward sashing rectangles. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 37-1/2x46-1/2" including seam allowances.
1. Cut and piece blue-and-white dot 2-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 2-2-1/2x46-1/2" inner border strips
- 2-2-1/2x41-1/2" inner border strips
2. Join long inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border. The quilt center should now be 41-1/2x50-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Cut and piece blue-and-white floral 4-3/4x42" strips to make:
- 2-4-3/4x50-1/2" outer border strips
- 2-4-3/4x50" outer border strips
4. Join 4-3/4x50-1/2" outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add 4-3/4x50" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue-and-white floral binding strips.