81-Patch Wall Hanging
Inspired by "Capture The Canyon" from collector Julie Hendricksen
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
Tonga Batiks from Timeless Treasures were used to make this bright nine-blocks wall hanging. By alternating the values of batiks in the blocks, the quiltmaker created a secondary Nine-Patch pattern.
Plan the Quilt
This quilt uses two fabrics in each block. Five blocks are medium/dark, and four blocks are medium/light which creates a secondary Nine-Patch design. Want to make a scrappier version of this quilt? For a scrappy version, you'll need 729--1-3/4" squares total (81 for each of the nine--11-1/4" square–finished blocks).
- 5--1/4-yard pieces assorted dark batiks in purple and blue (blocks)
- 9--1/4-yard pieces assorted medium batiks in blue, red, green, orange, and purple (blocks)
- 4--1/4-yard pieces assorted light batiks in yellow, pink, and green (blocks)
- 5/8 yard blue–and–black batik (border, binding)
- 2-1/2 yards backing fabric
- 46" square batting
Finished quilt: 39-1/4" square
Finished block: 11-1/4" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
From assorted dark batiks, cut:
- 45--1-3/4x9" strips (5 matching sets of 9 strips)
From assorted medium batiks, cut:
- 81--1-3/4x9" strips (9 matching sets of 9 strips)
From assorted light batiks, cut:
- 36--1-3/4x9" strips (4 matching sets of 9 strips)
From blue–and–black batik, cut:
- 4--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 2--3x39-1/4" border strips
- 2--3x34-1/4" border strips
1. Aligning long edges, sew together five matching assorted dark batik strips and four matching assorted medium strips to make strip set A (Diagram 1). Press seams toward assorted dark batik. Cut strip set into five 1-3/4"-wide A segments total.
2. Sew together four matching assorted dark batik strips and five matching assorted medium batik strips to make strip set B (Diagram 2). Press seams toward assorted dark batik. Cut strip set into four 1-3/4"-wide B segments total.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, join five A segments and four B segments to make a block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 11-3/4" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make five dark/medium blocks total.
5. Using assorted medium batik strips and assorted light batik strips, repeat steps 1-3 to make four medium/light blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to photo, lay out five dark/medium blocks and four medium/light blocks in three rows.
2. Sew together blocks in each row; press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1. Add short border strips to opposite edges of quilt center.
2. Add long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue–and–black batik binding strips.