1930s Scrappy Wall Hanging
Inspired by "Scrap Happy" from designer Kathie Holland
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1-1/3 yards total assorted 1930s prints (blocks)
- 1-1/8 yards black dot print (blocks, border, binding)
- 5/8 yard black grid print (setting and corner triangles)
- 1/3 yard black-and-white check (sashing squares)
- 1 yard solid white (sashing rectangles)
- 3 yards backing fabric
- 59" square batting
Finished quilt: 52-1/2" square
Finished blocks: 6" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
From assorted 1930s prints, cut:
- 200--1-1/2x3-1/2" rectangles
- 100--1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangles
From black dot print, cut:
- 6--2-1/2x42" strips for border
- 6--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 100--1-1/2" squares
From black grid print, cut:
- 3--12-5/8" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 12 setting triangles total
- 2--8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
From black-and-white check, cut:
- 40--2-1/2" sashing squares
From solid white, cut:
- 64--2-1/2x6-1/2" sashing rectangles
You will use eight assorted 1930s print 1-1/2 x3-1/2" rectangles, four assorted 1930s print 1-1/2 x2-1/2" rectangles, and four black dot print 1-1/2" squares for each block.
Though you can randomly pick rectangles while sewing, consider presorting them into 25 piles, one for each block, so every block has a pleasing combination.
1. Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, lay out eight assorted 1930s print 1-1/2 x3-1/2" rectangles, four assorted 1930s print 1-1/2 x2-1/2" rectangles, and four black dot print 1-1/2" squares in six rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to make a block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 to make 25 blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, black-and-white check sashing squares, solid white sashing rectangles, and black grid print setting triangles in diagonal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward sashing strips.
3. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add black grid print corner triangles to complete quilt center. Press seams toward corner triangles. The quilt center should be 48-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Cut and piece black dot print 2-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 2--2-1/2x52-1/2" border strips
- 2--2-1/2x48-1/2" border strips
5. Sew short border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with black dot print binding strips.