Wheel of Fortune
A scrappy circle composed of a variety of blues and greens is the standout of this project. A fun border of smaller spheres and arches continues the rounded motif for a table topper with a whimsical look. Fabrics are from the Robin collection by Erin Ries and the Impressions Moire collection, both from Clothworks.
Inspired by Under the Big Top from designer Tamara Barfels of Daisy Ridge Quilting and Design
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1⁄4 yard each mottled brown and brown polka dot (pieced circle, sashing, appliqué)
5⁄8 yard blue floral (pieced circle, border)
1⁄4 yard mottled green (appliqué, sashing squares, pieced circle)
1⁄2 yard total assorted prints in blue, green, and white (pieced circle, appliqués)
3⁄4 yard mottled blue (foundation square)
3⁄4 yard backing fabric
Lightweight fusible web
1-1⁄2 yards 1⁄2"-wide rickrack: brown
Finished quilt: 28-1⁄2x18-1⁄2"
Finished block: 16" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Patterns are in the downloadable PDF.
To use fusible web to prepare patterns B–F for appliqué, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns B–F. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From mottled brown, cut:
4-1-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" sashing strips
1 of Pattern B
From brown polka dot, cut:
8 of Pattern C
From blue floral, cut:
3-2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
2-5-1⁄2x18-1/2" border strips
From mottled green, cut:
1 of Pattern F
4-1-1⁄2" sashing squares
From scraps of all previously cut fabrics and assorted prints, cut:
40 of Pattern A
6 each of patterns D and E
From mottled blue, cut:
1-18" foundation square
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together 10 assorted print A pieces along long edges to make a circle segment; press seams in one direction. Repeat to make four circle segments total.
2. Sew together circle segments in pairs to make two halves (Diagram 2). Press seams in one direction. Join halves to make a pieced circle; press seams in one direction.
3. Leaving a 2" tail, pin rickrack to right side of pieced circle, 1⁄4" from outer edge (Diagram 3). Stitch through center of rickrack, stopping 2" before starting point. Turn under rickrack ends so folds abut and complete stitching.
4. Flip rickrack to wrong side of pieced circle, turning under the seam allowance; press to make a pieced circle appliqué.
5. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, center pieced circle appliqué on mottled blue 18" foundation square; pin or baste in place. Using brown thread, machine-blanket-stitch outer edge of pieced circle along rickrack seam. Position mottled brown B piece over center raw edges. Fuse in place following manufacturer's instructions. Position mottled green F piece in center of mottled brown B piece; fuse. Using threads in colors that match B and F pieces, blanket-stitch around outer edges of fused piece.
6. With circle centered, trim foundation to 16-1⁄2" square, including seam allowances, to make an appliquéd block.
Assemble Quilt Center
Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew mottled brown 1-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" sashing strips to opposite edges of appliquéd block. Sew mottled green 1-1⁄2" sashing squares to ends of remaining mottled brown 1-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" sashing strips. Press seams toward sashing strips. Sew pieced sashing strips to remaining edges of block to make quilt center. The quilt center should be 18-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
Appliqué and Add Border
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, arrange four brown polka dot C arcs, three assorted print D circles, and three assorted print E circles on a blue floral 5-1⁄2x18-1⁄2" border strip. Fuse pieces in place. Using threads in colors that match appliqués, machine-blanket-stitch around each piece, leaving straight bottom edges of C pieces unstitched, to make an appliquéd border strip. Repeat to make a second appliquéd border strip.
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew border strips to opposite edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue floral binding strips.