Inspired by Dare to Dream from quilt collector Julie Hendricksen of JJ Stitches
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 1⁄4 yard dark blue print (Four-Patch blocks, outer border)
- 1⁄2 yard mottled gold (Four-Patch blocks, X blocks)
- 7--9x22" pieces (fat eighths) assorted mottled prints in moss green, blue, orange, dark olive green, light olive green, turquoise, and red (X blocks)
- 2--9x22" pieces (fat eighths) assorted red prints (X blocks)
- 7--9x22" pieces (fat eighths) assorted prints in turquoise, olive green, and blue (X blocks)
- 3⁄8 yard gold print (inner border)
- 7⁄8 yard blue print (outer border, binding)
- 1-1⁄8 yards backing fabric
- 38" square batting
- Acrylic ruler with 45° angle
- Water-soluble fabric pen
Finished quilt: 29-1⁄2" square
Finished blocks: 4" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From dark blue print, cut:
- 4--3-1⁄2" squares
- 8--2-1⁄2" squares
From mottled gold, cut:
- 12--4-1⁄2" squares
- 8--2-1⁄2" squares
- 4--7⁄8x14" strips
From assorted mottled prints, cut:
- 36--7⁄8x14" strips (9 sets of 4 matching strips)
- 36--1" squares (9 sets of 4 matching squares)
From each red print, cut:
- 1--4-1⁄4" square, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 4 triangles total
From assorted turquoise and olive green prints, cut:
- 4--4-1⁄4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 16 triangles total
From assorted blue prints, cut:
- 3--4-1⁄4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 12 triangles total
From gold print, cut:
- 2--2x23-1⁄2" inner border strips
- 2--2x20-1⁄2" inner border strips
From blue print, cut:
- 4--2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
- 4--3-1⁄2x23-1⁄2" outer border strips
Assemble Four-Patch Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together two dark blue print 2-1⁄2" squares and two mottled gold 2-1⁄2" squares in pairs. Press seams away from mottled gold squares. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make four Four-Patch blocks total.
Assemble X Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together two mottled moss green 7⁄8x14" strips and two mottled blue 7⁄8x14" strips to make a strip set. Press seams open. Repeat to make a second matching strip set.
2. Using an acrylic ruler, cut one end of a strip set at a 45-degree angle; start from the bottom left-hand corner (Diagram 3). Measuring parallel to trimmed edge, cut trimmed strip set into eight 7⁄8"-wide A segments (Diagram 4).
3. In the same manner, cut the same end of remaining strip set in the opposite direction; start from the top left-hand corner (Diagram 5). Measuring parallel to trimmed edge, cut trimmed strip set into eight 7⁄8"-wide B segments.
4. Using a water-soluble fabric pen, mark a dot in each corner on wrong side of an A segment where the 1⁄4" seam allowances intersect (Diagram 6). Mark remaining A segments and all B segments in the same manner.
If desired for ease in marking, make a template of Segment Marking Pattern in PDF download; use a pushpin to make a hole in template at each dot on pattern. With template right side down, mark through template holes at corners of each A segment; flip template right side up to mark corners of each B segment.
5. Referring to Diagram 7, join an A segment to left-hand edge of a red print triangle; do not sew into 1⁄4" seam allowance at marked dots. In the same manner, sew a B segment to right-hand edge of red triangle, then join short edges of A and B segments. Press seams open to make a red triangle unit. Repeat to make four matching red triangle units total.
6. Using remaining red print triangles, repeat Step 5 to make four additional red triangle units.
7. Referring to Diagram 8, sew together two matching red triangle units to make a triangle pair; do not sew into 1⁄4" seam allowance at marked dots. Press seam open. Repeat to make a second, matching triangle pair. Join pairs to make a block unit, stitching between dots at beginning and end of seam (Diagram 9). Press seam open.
8. Referring to Diagram 10, set an assorted mottled print 1" square into one corner of block unit. Press seams away from square. Repeat with remaining corners to make a red X block (Diagram 11). The block should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 to make two red X blocks total.
10. Using remaining mottled 7/8x14" strips, remaining assorted print triangles, and remaining mottled print 1" squares, repeat steps 1–9 to make nine X blocks total. (You will have four A and four B segments left over from one color combination.)
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Four-Patch blocks, X blocks, and mottled gold setting squares in five vertical rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting squares. Join rows to make quilt center; press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 20-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
1. Sew gold print 2x20-1⁄2" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add gold print 2x23-1⁄2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams open.
2. Sew blue print 3-1⁄2x23-1⁄2" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center.
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew dark blue print 3-1⁄2" squares to remaining blue print 3-1⁄2x23-1⁄2" outer border strips to make two pieced outer border strips. Press seam open. The pieced outer border strips should be 3-1⁄2x29-1⁄2" with seam allowances.
4. Add pieced outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams open.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue print strips.