Tiny Steps Coaster
Inspired by: One Step at a Time from designer Krisanne Watkins
Quilt tester: Diane Tomlinson
Finished coaster: 7-1/2" square
Materials for One Coaster
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 10" square each white print, yellow print, green print, pink print, and blue print
- 9×21" piece (fat eighth) gray print
- 9" square backing fabric
- 9" square batting
Cut pieces in the following order. The Block Center Pattern is here.
From white print, cut:
- 11—1-7/8" squares
From yellow print, cut:
- 2—2-1/2" squares
- 2—1-7/8" squares
From green print , cut:
- 4—1-7/8" squares
From pink print, cut:
- 5—1-7/8" squares
From gray print, cut:
- 2—2-1/2×21" binding strips
- 6—1-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 12 triangles
From blue print, cut:
- 1 Block Center Pattern
Assemble Coaster Top
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1 Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each white print 1-7/8" square.
2. Layer a marked white print square atop a yellow print 1-7/8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of marked line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on marked line. Press open to make two yellow triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 1-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four yellow triangle-squares total.
3. Repeat Step 2 using green print 1-7/8" squares instead of yellow print to make eight green triangle-squares.
4. Repeat Step 2 using pink print 1-7/8" squares instead of yellow print to make 10 pink triangle-squares.
5. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out one yellow triangle-square, two green triangle-squares, two pink triangle-squares, and two gray print triangles in two vertical rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows. Referring to Diagram 3, add a yellow print 2-1/2" square to joined rows to make Unit 1. Repeat to make a second Unit 1.
6. Referring to Diagram 4, lay out one yellow triangle-square, two green triangle-squares, three pink triangle-squares, and four gray print triangles in four vertical rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make Unit 2. Repeat to make a second Unit 2.
7. Sew together one each of units 1 and 2 to make Unit 3 (Diagram 5). Repeat to make a second Unit 3.
8. Referring to Diagram 6, sew together a Unit 3, blue print block center piece, and remaining Unit 3 to complete coaster top. The coaster top should be 7-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Layer coaster top with batting and backing 9" squares; baste. Quilt as desired. Trim batting and backing even with the coaster top.
2. Bind with gray print binding strips.