Sunflower Table Runner
Inspired by: Warm Woolies from designer Rebecca Lidstrom
Quilt tester: Colleen Tauke
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 3—10" squares in green floral, blue floral, and orange floral (blocks)
- 3—10" squares in green print, blue print, and orange print (blocks)
- 3—10" squares in green tone-on-tone, blue tone-on-tone, and orange tone-on-tone (blocks)
- 3—10" squares mottled green, mottled blue, and mottled orange (blocks)
- 1/4 yard yellow print (sashing, inner border)
- 1/2 yard blue sunflower print (outer border)
- 3/8 yard mottled dark blue (binding)
- 27×50" batting
- 1-1/2 yards backing fabric
FINISHED TABLE RUNNER: 19×42"
FINISHED BLOCK: 10-1/2" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each assorted floral, cut:
- 1—3-1/2" square
- 4—2×3-1/2" rectangles
- 4—2" squares
From each assorted print, cut:
- 4—2×3-1/2" rectangles
From each assorted tone-on-tone, cut:
- 3—3-1/2" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 12 small triangles total
From each assorted mottled square, cut:
- 4—2×6-1/2" rectangles
- 2—3-1/2" squares, cutting each in half diagonally 4 large triangles total
From yellow print, cut:
- 2—1-1/2 ×34" inner border strips
- 2—1-1/2 ×13" inner border strips
- 2—1-1/2 ×11" sashing strips
From blue sunflower print, cut:
- 2—3-1/2×36" outer border strips
- 2—3-1/2×19" outer border strips
From mottled dark blue, cut:
- 4—2-1/2×42" binding strips
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Gather all green squares, rectangles, and triangles.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out green floral 3-1/2" square, green floral 2" squares, and green print 2×3-1/2" rectangles. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make block center. The block center should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together two green tone-on-tone small triangles and one mottled green 2×6-1/2" rectangle to make Unit A. Repeat to make a second Unit A.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together two green tone-on-tone small triangles and one green floral 2×3-1/2" rectangle to make Unit B. Repeat to make four B units total.
5. Referring to Diagram 4, sew remaining mottled green 2×6-1/2" rectangles to opposite edges of block center. Add A units to remaining edges. Trim triangle points even with mottled rectangles.
6. Referring to Diagram 5, sew B units to Step 5 unit. Trim triangle points even with green floral rectangles.
7. Referring to Diagram 6, join mottled green large triangles to Step 6 unit to make a block. Measuring 1/4" from rectangle corners, trim block to 11" square including seam allowances.
8. Using blue squares, rectangles, and triangles and orange squares, rectangles, and triangles, repeat steps 1–7 twice to make a blue block and an orange block.
Assemble Table Runner Top
1. Referring to Table Runner Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks and yellow print 1-1/2×11" sashing strips in a row. Sew together pieces in row; press seams toward sashing strips to make quilt center. The quilt center should be 11×34" including seam allowances.
2. Sew yellow print 11⁄2×34" inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Sew yellow print 11⁄2×13" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press seams towards inner border.
3. Sew blue sunflower print 3-1/2×36" outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add blue sunflower print 3-1/2×19" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press seams toward outer border.
Finish Table Runner
1. Layer table runner top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with mottled dark blue binding strips.