Striking Skinny Table Runner
Experiment with bold color charm squares to piece a lively table runner that will brighten any table setting. Fabrics are from the Kaffe Fassett CollectiveSpring 2019 collection for FreeSpirit.
INSPIRED BY: New Kid on the Block from designer Sherri McConnell
QUILT TESTER: Martha Gamm
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 4—5" squares (charm squares) each of four assorted prints (blocks)
- 1/8 yard black print (sashing rectangles)
- 1—5" square (charm square) solid black (sashing square)
- 1/3 yard binding fabric
- 1-1/8 yards backing fabric
- 19-1/2×49-1/2" batting
Finished size: 10-1/2×40-1/2"
Finished block: 10" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From black print, cut:
- 16—1-1/2 ×5" sashing rectangles
From solid black 5" square, cut:
- 4—1-1/2" sashing squares
From binding fabric, cut:
- 3—2-1/2×42" binding strips
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on Block Assembly Diagram.
1) Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, lay out four matching print 5" squares, four black print 1-1/2×5" sashing rectangles, and one solid black 1-1/2" sashing square in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make a block. The block should be 10-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2) Repeat Step 1 to make four blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in a row.
2) Sew together blocks to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2) Bind with binding strips.