Star of the Table Place Mats
A framed star block and floral rectangles show the table setter exactly where to place the plates and silverware. Fabrics are from the Moody Blooms collection by Laura Muir of Create Joy Project for Moda Fabrics.
Inspired by: Twists & Turns from designer Tammy Vonderschmitt
Quilt tester: Diane Tomlinson
Materials for One Place Mat
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 10" square pink batik (place mat top)
- 18×21" piece (fat quarter) teal batik (place mat top)
- 18×21" piece (fat quarter) floral print (place mat top)
- 5/8 yard aqua metallic print (place mat top, backing, binding)
- 12-1/2×19-1/2" batting
FINISHED PLACE MAT: 12-1/2×19-1/2"
Cut pieces in the following order.
From pink batik, cut:
- 2—4-3/4" squares
From teal batik, cut:
- 2—4-3/4" squares
- 4—4" squares
From floral print, cut:
- 2—4×12-1/2" rectangles
- 1—4" square
From aqua metallic print, cut:
- 2—2-1/2×42" binding strips
- 1—12-1/2×19-1/2" backing rectangle
- 2—1-1/4×12-1/2" strips
- 2—1-1/4×11" strips
Assemble Place Mat
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each pink batik 4-3/4" square.
2. Layer a marked pink batik square atop a teal batik 4-3/4" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line. Press open to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 4-3/8" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four triangle-squares total.
3. Mark a diagonal line perpendicular to seam line on wrong side of two triangle-squares.
4. Layer a marked triangle-square atop an unmarked triangle-square with each teal batik triangle facing a pink batik triangle (Diagram 2). Sew 1/4" on each side of drawn line. Cut pair apart on drawn line. Press open to make two hourglass units. Each unit should be 4" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four hourglass units total.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out teal batik 4" squares, hourglass units, and floral print 4" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make a block center. The block center should be 11" square including seam allowances.
6. Referring to Diagram 4, sew aqua metallic print 1-1/4×11" strips to opposite edges of block center. Add aqua metallic print 1-1/4×12-1/2" strips to remaining edges; press seams toward aqua metallic strips to complete quilt block. The block should be 12-1/2" square include seam allowances.
7. Sew floral print 4×12-1/2" rectangles to left- and right-hand edges of block (Place Mat Assembly Diagram) to complete place mat top. The place mat top should be 12-1/2×19-1/2" including seam allowances.
Finish Place Mat
1. Layer place mat top with batting and aqua metallic print 12-1/2×19-1/2" backing rectangle; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with aqua metallic print binding strips.