Spring Baskets Table Topper
Inspired by: Blue Baskets from designer Lori DeJarnatt
Quilt tester: Diane Tomlinson
Finished table topper: 21-1/2" square
Finished block: 6" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 4—7" squares assorted plaids in green, blue, and pink (appliqués)
- 3/8 yard solid white (blocks, sashing rectangles)
- 1/4 yard teal plaid (sashing squares, border)
- 1/3 yard teal stripe (binding)
- 7/8 yard backing fabric
- 30"-square batting
- Lightweight fusible web
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern.
To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over pattern. Use a pencil to trace the pattern four times, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From assorted plaids, cut:
- 4 of Basket Pattern
From solid white, cut:
- 4—6-1/2" squares
- 12—2-1/2×6-1/2" sashing rectangles
From teal plaid, cut:
- 9—2-1/2" sashing squares
- 2—2×21-1/2" border strips
- 2—2×18-1/2" border strips
From teal stripe, cut:
- 3—2-1/2×42" binding strips
1. Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, arrange an assorted plaid basket appliqué on a solid white 6-1/2" square. Fuse in place following manufacturer's instructions.
2. Using thread that matches the basket fabric, machine-zigzag-stitch appliqué edges to make a block.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make four blocks total.
Assemble Table Topper Top
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam open.
1 Referring to Table Topper Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, solid white 2-1/2×6-1/2" sashing rectangles, and teal plaid 2-1/2" sashing squares in five rows.
2. Sew together pieces in rows. Press seams toward sashing rectangles. Join rows; press seams toward sashing rows to complete table topper center. The table topper center should be 18-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Sew teal plaid 2×18-1/2" border strips to opposite edges of table topper center (Table Topper Assembly Diagram). Sew teal plaid 2×21-1/2" border strips to remaining edges to complete table topper top.
Finish Table Topper
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Quilt tester Diane Tomlinson machine-quilted 1/4" inside each sashing rectangle.
3. Bind with teal stripe binding strips.