Spellbinding Table Runner
Add a whimsical touch to your decor with a Halloween-theme table runner that is more likely to charm your guests than spook them. Fabrics are from the Midnight Magic collection by April Rosenthal for Moda Fabrics.
INSPIRED BY: Vintage Pastels from collector Jody Sanders
QUILT TESTER: Diane Tomlinson
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 10" square black moon print (rows)
- 1—9×21" piece (fat eighth) each black floral and white spiderweb print (rows)
- 1—18×21" piece (fat quarter) each orange moon print, black spiderweb print, and gray moon print (rows)
- 1/3 yard solid black (binding)
- 5/8 yard backing fabric
- 22×36" batting
Finished table runner: 14-1/8×28-1/4"
Cut pieces in the following order.
From black moon print (fabric 1), cut:
- 6—2-1/2" squares
From black floral (fabric 2), cut:
- 14—2-1/2" squares
From white spiderweb print (fabric 3), cut:
From orange moon print (fabric 4), cut:
- 22—2-1/2" squares
From black spiderweb print (fabric 5), cut:
- 26—2-1/2" squares
From gray moon print (fabric 6), cut:
- 7—4-1/8" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 28 setting triangles total (you’ll have two leftover)
- 2—2-3/8" squares, cutting each in half for 4 corner triangles total
From solid black, cut:
- 3—2-1/2×42" binding strips
Assemble Quilt Top
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Use a design wall to lay out your 2-1/2" squares in rows.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out fabric 1 squares on point in a vertical row. Arrange fabric 2 squares around fabric 1 row. Repeat with remaining squares in the order indicated in Diagram 1 until all squares are placed.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together squares in 14 diagonal rows. Join gray moon print (fabric 6) setting triangles and top right-hand and bottom left-hand corner triangles to ends of rows. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add remaining gray moon print corner triangles to complete quilt top. Press seams toward corner triangles.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Quilt tester Diane Tomlinson machine-quilted a stipple design in the white spiderweb print squares and stitched-in-the-ditch between each round of fabric.
3. Bind with solid black binding strips.