Scrappy Charm Squares
Inspired by Nature's Neutrals from Debra L. Roberts of the Quilted Moose
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1 yard total assorted prints in red, pink, white, black, yellow, blue, green, and purple or 40 to
- 60--5" charm squares
- 1/4 yard purple plaid (binding)
- 3/4 yard backing fabric
- 25x29" batting
Finished quilt: 18-1/2x23"
Finished block: 4-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Use the total amount listed as a guide when choosing fabrics from your stash. To get the scrappy look she wanted, quiltmaker Laura Boehnke used 53 charm squares in this small table topper. For the scrappiest look possible, use 60 charm squares in assorted prints. To conserve fabric, use a minimum of 40 charm squares in assorted prints.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Before cutting, be sure to measure 5" squares from the outermost points of the pinked edges to see if the points are included in the stated size.
If using 60 charm squares in assorted prints, cut a set of two 1-1/4x5" strips and two 1-1/4x3-1/2" strips from each of 20 charm squares (Cutting Diagram A). Then cut a set of two 1x3-1/2" strips and two 1x2-1/2" strips from each of 20 remaining charm squares, and one 2-1/2" square from each remaining charm square.
If using 40 charm squares in assorted prints, cut a set of two 1-1/4x5" strips and two 1-1/4x3-1/2" strips from each of 20 charm squares (Cutting Diagram A). Referring to Cutting Diagram B, cut a set of two 1x3-1/2" strips, two 1x2-1/2" strips, and a 2-1/2" square from each of the remaining charm squares. Pinked edges are included in Cutting Diagram measurements.
From assorted prints, cut:
- 20 sets of 2 matching 1-1/4x5" strips and 2 matching 1-1/4x3-1/2" strips
- 20 sets of 2 matching 1x3-1/2" strips and 2 matching 1x2-1/2" strips
- 20--2-1/2" squares
From purple plaid, cut:
- 3--2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. For one block, gather two 1x3-1/2" strips and two 1x2-1/2" strips from one print, two 1-1/4x5" strips and two 1-1/4x3-1/2" strips from a second print; and one 2-1/2" square from a third print.
2. Sew assorted print 1x2-1/2" strips to opposite edges of assorted print 2-1/2" square (Diagram 1). Press seams toward strips. Add assorted print 1x3-1/2" strips to remaining edges to make block center. Press seams toward strips.
3. Join assorted print 1-1/4x3-1/2" strips to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 2). Add assorted print 1-1/4x5" strips to remaining edges to make a block. Press all seams away from block center. The block should be 5" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make 20 blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to photo, lay out blocks in five rows, rotating every other block to alternate block seams (Diagram 3).
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with purple plaid binding strips.